How would you spend $1500, with no previous equipment?

do we assume the person buying has prior experience of photography,
and do we assume they wish to do general photography
(people/events/locations), in available light?

if so, i'd spend half the money on gear and half the money travelling
somewhere interesting to photograph.

a consumer DSLR + a 18-70 type lens ($500),
a UV filter ($10),
a CircPo($50),
2 or 3 fourgig cards ($50),
a bag from a junk store ($5),
a 2nd hand laptop (256mb or more of RAM) ($140).
GIMP ($0)

prices may vary :0).. that's $5 over budget...maybe boost the bag!

a UV filter ($10),
a CircPo($50),
GIMP ($0)

I don't quite follow your math. Looks like $745 under budget, but lets make it $755 under in a heartbeat by not buying a cheap ass $10 UV filter that's a totally useless accessory. :lol:

As the above points out, $1500 won't support a D90. You need some essential accessories like a good speedlight and a good tripod. So now you're in the D60, Canon XT range. :thumbup:

the math is sound. read it again.

a UV filter ($10),
a CircPo($50),
GIMP ($0)

I don't quite follow your math. Looks like $745 under budget, but lets make it $755 under in a heartbeat by not buying a cheap ass $10 UV filter that's a totally useless accessory. :lol:

As the above points out, $1500 won't support a D90. You need some essential accessories like a good speedlight and a good tripod. So now you're in the D60, Canon XT range. :thumbup:

You don't "need" a tripod for most style of shooting. Unless he's doing long exposures for some reason, he could live without that and add it down the road. Speedlight can fit into the budget easily with the D90 kit and even with a D90 body and Tamron 17-50 f2.8 if you are willing to buy the lens or body (or both) slightly used but "new" condition.

the math is sound. read it again.
Yes, I did.
I screwed up. :blushing: Again.

are UVs redundant for digital ? i didn't know this. i've only got one
that fits only half my lenses anyway. i dont use it a lot. i know people
always say it protects the lens etc etc.

Some people insist on putting them on their lenses to "protect" the glass. But it's proven that they can actually reduce the picture quality. If you think about it, you are adding a $10 piece of plastic/glass rather than shooting through the glass the Nikon designed which could have cost you hundreds, if not thousands of dollars. The lens hood takes most hits and protects the lens, but some still insist on putting the cheap filter on the front.

I would buy a Nikon F100 + 24mm f/2.8 + 50mm f/1.4 and spend the rest on film and beer

As usual, knowing a bit more about the posters hopes and dreams helps a lot when making choices... just diving in and saying "BUY THIS!" isn't terribly helpful, really.

As usual, knowing a bit more about the posters hopes and dreams helps a lot when making choices... just diving in and saying "BUY THIS!" isn't terribly helpful, really.

Sure it is, makes me feel better about my own purchases :lol:

true. i mean the more the OP tells us , the more we can try to help.

1500?

I would try to find a body for $500 or less and spend the rest on lenses. Even then you'll have to be picky on which lenses you get.

If you want a flash, take a lens or two off of your list.

The 50mm f/1.4 is pretty much a must have lens no matter what you shoot. The 100mm Macro is very cool too, and useful for lots other than macro. There's $1000 spent right there.

Or replace the 100mm Macro with the 70-200 f/4 L (which is roughly the same price, probably a little more).

(All of the above is assuming you go Canon.)

@Montana - Nikkor 85mm f/1.4 is ~$1200... f/1.2 doesn't exist in Nikkorland.

And in real life makes zero difference too. That is what, 1/3rd of a stop going from F/1.4 to F/1.2? Not even really noticeable in real life use. I have my D700 set to the exact same settings as my friend and his 5DmkII and he has the F/1.2 and I have the F/1.4 and the pictures both look great.

Now, the difference between a F/1.0 and a F/1.4 would be interesting... unfortunately, Notilux doesn't make a bayonet adapter for my D700. Their loss! :D

Sure it is, makes me feel better about my own purchases :lol:

bahahahah... well said. :thumbup::lmao:

Most reactions

Back