How'd I do?

Discussion in 'The Professional Gallery' started by twocolor, Jul 31, 2008.

1. twocolor

twocolor No longer a newbie, moving up!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    Okay, my last post was of http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=132485 kathy's bridals, where my biggest critique was blown highlights on the brides dress (which I agreed with) so, after some great advice, I was able to pull these off for her wedding day!

I ended up metering for her dress, and then as suggested bracketing and then using layers in photoshop to retain all other correct exposures (I'm not sure I said that correct:wink:

1. Maybe I still could have gone a touch lighter on the dress???
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

any other suggestions?

These are the first two I looked at, I ran home excited to play around with them - so these are more for exposure testing than much else!

2. Zansho

Zansho TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Your first one, your subject looks underexposed in relative comparison to the sky. I'd have used flash fill to help counterbalance this. In this case, what I would have done was meter off the background (your sky/building/whatever), then set your flash for one stop under that particular reading.

Second one, simply doesn't work for me imo. The trees in the ride side are distracting from the main element, which is supposed to be your B/G. Additionally, the bright area in relation to the subject still detracts from the image, because it doesn't shift your focus to the B/G.

Did you use a flash at all in these photos?

3. twocolor

Photos NOT OK to edit
    K, started out with my flash, but my flash, at least when set to wireless, will not fire as fast as my camera is shooting when it is set for bracketing.

So, I'm assuming that you would suggest ditch trying to bracket each shot and just use the flash?

I'm getting a dozen different suggestions, and now I'm a little confused at which one is best.

Here is another try at the first pic. A little more pp - does it work at all?

[​IMG]

4. JenR

JenR TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I guess I have two main problems with the last photo you posted.

1) Her dress is looking a little blue to me. It is less blue than the first version, but still seems to have a color cast.

2) Why is it slanted? I spent more time focusing on the crooked church and the angles than on the bride and groom. JMHO

5. twocolor

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I agree with the blue color cast, I'll go back and fix that. BUT, I reallllly like the slant on the last one! That is actually the one they chose to enlarge and have on display for their reception. For every one I shoot with an angle, I shoot the same pose straight on. Quite basically, it's just not for everyone. The b&g chose the slant, the brides mom prefers the straight on. They order some of each, and I'm not out anything!

Different strokes for different folks!:D

6. tirediron

tirediron Watch the Birdy! Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    Okay, I'd say you've resolved the problem discussed in the previous thread, that is, the over-exposed dress. In the process you've created a couple more. One is the WB, it looks to me like your camera is set to for a direct sunlight WB, which is causing the blue caste on the dress as a result of the subjects being photographed in the shade.

The second, and I hope you won't take offense at this, but I'l be blunt, is a poor choice of locations. Both of these have the subject in shade, but large parts of the image in bright sun. This is always going to cause problems. Rule #1 is to make life as easy as possible for yourself.

I think both of these would have worked better shot either in full sun or in full shade. I too am not fond of the angles, but that's a personal taste thing. If the couple like, then it works.

Just my $00.02 worth - your milage may vary

~John

7. PattiS

PattiS TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    In both of these images, my eye is drawn to elements other than the bride and groom. In the first image my eye is drawn to the building and other elements behind them, and in the second my eye is drawn to the curves in the top right corner.