Howdy!

Ruston

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
After a few months of lurking I thought I should properly introduce myself. Until recently I never gave photography much of a though until my wife asked for a new camera for her birthday. While researching the "best point and shoot", I couldn't justify spending $350 on a camera that wouldn't take pictures any better than my iPhone so I decided on a mirrorless camera as the next best alternative. Not wanting to spend that much money without at least seeing the product I visited my local camera store. There a very nice salesman made a passionate case that sensor size mattered and pointed me in the direction of an entry level DSLR. I hesitated at spending the extra money and he quickly pointed me to the cheapest DSLR kit in stock, a D3100 with 18-55mm lens (this is immediately after the D3200 was released). Convincing myself that my wife's appreciation for finally owning a 'real' camera would offset her dissatisfaction with the cost, I bagged up my purchase and headed home. As I made my case to a skeptical spouse I took a few snapshots (that's what you call auto mode pictures, right? :1247:). Popping the memory card into the iMac all we could say was "wow".

Now my wife often wonders if it is her camera or mine. I've been reading a lot and also experimenting with a couple of old film cameras. So much to learn and so little free time. Below are a few pictures that I like. I understand they are far from perfect, but I'm finding I really like candid people or scenes that look like they have a story to tell.

27005-1418061643-95d8795463884cae0ef5ce0ccfd622a2.jpg

20320020-L.jpg

DSC_8067-L.jpg

DSC_8068-L.jpg

DSC_6609-L.jpg

Welcome, I've learned a lot since being here. Your 1st shots are very nice!

Welcome!

You're probably going to have to purchase another camera.

Welcome to the site.

Welcome aboard...

Welcome!

You're probably going to have to purchase another camera.

I'm hoping that is a 'tounge-in-cheek' comment. I feel like I have so much to learn with the equipment I have. True, I have discovered GAS is real and powerful, but I can't justify the expense. When I know my gear well enough to discern when it is holding me back I'll think about it. For now I'm just working on getting consistently acceptable pictures and (more importantly) understanding why.

I'm pretty sure that's a reference to your comment about whose camera it is.

Welcome.

Sent from my M470BSA using Tapatalk

I'm pretty sure that's a reference to your comment about whose camera it is.

Welcome.

Sent from my M470BSA using Tapatalk
Good point :p
I think my wife has given up on the idea of the camera being exclusively hers :D

Welcome aboard.

When my youngest son was in high school, he decided he wanted to take photography. I had enrolled in a photo class at school, myself (went back to finish a degree). Sure enough, I had to buy a second film body so we could both take the classes.

Thanks Designer, I'm a little slow at times :)
My wife has resigned herself to "borrowing" her camera from me. Aren't I a great husband :p

Most reactions

Back