How's the composition of these photos?

cfingram

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I'm struggling with composition and the rules of thirds. I think I have a good grip on it most of the time but I'm definitely NO expert at it :confused:.

Would like some CC on composition and anything else that you feel a need to cc on :)

BIG THANKS!!! C.

#1.
2763348255_47e09d9ac9.jpg

2763349005_c5ba9a9219.jpg

#3.
2763349551_618a09eb35.jpg

2767049026_c86838d244.jpg

2763349215_c5d45ba21f_o.jpg

2,3 and 4 seem great. 4 made me laugh. :lol: I might have tried not to cut off her head in 2 quite so much, but I think you get away with it ok.

5 seems kinda "meh"... it's just not a terribly interesting picture. Also needs some sharpening, contrast and maybe a touch of saturation.

I think 1 just came out kinda weird. Looks like the floating attack head about to suck up the cake. Aaaahhh!!! ;) I think a portrait shot would have worked better... get more of the cake and don't cut off quite so much of the little girl. I love the way her hair looks in the shot though.

All in all, really good set. Minor issues, only.

:lol: I just looked at 4 again. That's a keeper.

I believe this is in the wrong forum.

#1 - The candles don't look lit and the moment captured should be with the girl blowing the candles with the cheeks puffed up. At first glance, you can't tell whether she is blowing candles, taking a breath, or about to sneeze.

#2 - Lovely. I like it. I think WB might be a little off.

#3 - Is cute.

#4 - a bit strange. The eyes are drawn to the boys left eye which is almost perfectly centered in the photo. All I see is that eye... the eye! .. the eye!! :lol:

#5 - is not focused.

Not really too keen on the watermark.... but thats just a different matter.

Keep shootin!

can you guide me to a better forum please? thank you for comments. I'm new here but I'm familiar with most technical terms and shoot strickly in manual/raw..perhaps I still belong in the beginners forum then? I haven't been shooting for very long though so, I'm still kind of struggling in that aspect.

I believe this is in the wrong forum.

Maybe here:

http://thephotoforum.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=73

But in those forums you have to make it clear that you are serious about getting honest crits (critiques) and you can't be shy to bump it every two days or so to keep it in the top 10-ish most active - or it gets missed sometimes. Then when you're satisfied with the replies let it drop down or take it's own course.

Oh ok, thank you for the clarification! Much appreciated.

Thank you for the comments as well usayit. :)

P.s. the watermark is just to protect my images, not used for business purposes or anything like that. :)

#1. I would have moved the girl to her right as to get more of the cake and more of the girl in the pic.

#2. Needs to be cropped alittle tighter.

#3. Raise the camera so the ball is in the pic. You cut off her elbows and hands. Her arms are leaving the frame and coming back into the frame. Thats a no no.

#4. I like

#5. I like

Your own the right track. Keep shooting and practicing composition. You can only get better.

Thanks Stogie! I understand about her arms going in and out of the frame now, thank you. I have another picture that you see the whole ball and her arms.

When you say crop a little tigher, you want a little less of her body and a little bit more of her face to be in the photograph correct? I kind of liked it the way I have it but I can certainly try to crop more and see how it turns out, I'll probably like it even more cropped tighter.

Overall, I'm not too horrible am I?

One of my goals is to get my pictures as perfect as possible without having to do too much editing. If any editing is needed, I want it to be for "special" needs only (i.e. Black & White, etc).

Most reactions

New Topics

Back