How's this for DOF? C&C

Stamp

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Got my new lens, and am trying some shallow depth of field shots... what do ya'll think?

ISO 400 1/30 sec F1.7 50mm

4199185820_40a9eba7b2_b.jpg

i also dont like where you chose to put the dof... the white stack is pretty intense up front there and seems to keep my eye's interest

i also dont like where you chose to put the dof... the white stack is pretty intense up front there and seems to keep my eye's interest

Good call... I wonder if I were to reverse the stack, if that would've provided a better image. I mainly wanted to get the DOF between things, and not in front of everything, or behind everything.

Looks photoshop'ed to me....But what do I know. I'm just saying, it doesn't appear natural to me...

Just my $0.02...Ignore me...
- Dan

I do own photoshop, however, the only tool I used was the crop tool to take off maybe 1/8th of the top as there was something distracting up there. No filters, no adjustments, no anything other than crop. Why do you say it looks photoshoped anyway?

It is a very good shot to eyeball your camera's DOF, though having a different perspective (little more to perpendicular) might have helped to assess it.

As to lighting, it is a fine shot. You aren't using more than one light source from what I can tell nor are you are not using a flash. That means you are victim to incandescent or florescent light toning. The RGB does looks off, but this may be partly due to a dull or lackluster finish of the chips.

Looks photoshop'ed to me....But what do I know. I'm just saying, it doesn't appear natural to me...

- Dan

I do own photoshop, however, the only tool I used was the crop tool to take off maybe 1/8th of the top as there was something distracting up there. No filters, no adjustments, no anything other than crop. Why do you say it looks photoshoped anyway?

Its just how the image strikes me...Don't take it to heart, you have to realize that I am rather new to this. What can and can't be done with a camera is still a little foreign to me. You should take it as a compliment actually...I sort of feel that if your photo looks like it has spent some time in post-production and yet looks good, yet was never editted via PC, then you've done something right! Again, just my opinion.

Yeah, there's something about that.
Lights advance and darks receed.
Yeah, that's it.

Here is how I evnision a shot like that, using only what you have already in the current shot ~

What if the stacks from left to right, front to back, were colored red, blue, white. Than use a tripod, compose it level, using rule of 1/3's, use a bounce flash, and focus of the white stack, which would then be in the middle. The red stack in front would not be as bright as the white, but not too dark like the blue would be.

And watch how you meter so the white stack doesn't blow out.

Just wonderin' That's how I see it in my mind's eye.

Last edited:
I think in order to get an easier "interesting" shot you should have multiple stacks of 20 with some stacked on top, much like you see WSOP shots

when i was testing out my 80-200 f/2.8's DoF I took a picture of some Building plans I had just drawn up lol, damn that lens is amazing! :)

Thanks for the comments everyone. Great tips and advice here... however, I ended up losing money last night, so I don't know how soon I'll be able to redo it, if you know what I mean. I really didn't put any thought in how the chips were laid out, the order that's pictured is how I stack my chips in denomination at the beginning of a game, so that just goes to show how much thought is really needed to produce a great photo.... I'll try again with a little more thought next time... Thanks ya'll

- Dan

Its just how the image strikes me...Don't take it to heart, you have to realize that I am rather new to this. What can and can't be done with a camera is still a little foreign to me. You should take it as a compliment actually...I sort of feel that if your photo looks like it has spent some time in post-production and yet looks good, yet was never editted via PC, then you've done something right! Again, just my opinion.

No worries man, I started liking the fact that someone thought I photoshoped an image when I just used the camera settings to take the photo. :hug::

Most reactions

New Topics

Back