How's this for DOF? C&C

DOF is fine, white balance and exposure needs work though

Stamp,
Here's a crazy piece of advice... When you're shooting, image you're shooting film. Every image that is messed up (exposure, lighting, composition, colors, WHATEVER) is trash thus waste of money in purchasing and developing. And ask you self when shooting "why take this image?"
Many newcomers just shoot anything and when ask them "Why did you take it? what does it say for you?" the answer is I don't know... usually an image supposed to say something. GREAT photographers, managed to achieve that goal with every frame, while many others (me including) still working on getting to that level.
This will hone your skill and will take you to the next level.

Stamp,
Here's a crazy piece of advice... When you're shooting, image you're shooting film. Every image that is messed up (exposure, lighting, composition, colors, WHATEVER) is trash thus waste of money in purchasing and developing. And ask you self when shooting "why take this image?"
Many newcomers just shoot anything and when ask them "Why did you take it? what does it say for you?" the answer is I don't know... usually an image supposed to say something. GREAT photographers, managed to achieve that goal with every frame, while many others (me including) still working on getting to that level.
This will hone your skill and will take you to the next level.

Good advice! I tossed that idea around in my head a few times before too..

A tweak
4199185820_40a9eba7b2_bcopy.jpg

I'm not sure if you currently do, but I recommend shooting in raw, it helps in situations like this with the exposure and white balance.

I'm not sure if you currently do, but I recommend shooting in raw, it helps in situations like this with the exposure and white balance.

That looks better!... Did you just up the brightness and add a little more saturation? No, I don't shoot in RAW... I've been thinking about if the benefit of the pp adjustments were worth the 1/4 amount pictures able to be stored on my SD card in RAW. I guess you think it's worth it, eh? (no I'm not Canadian :lol:)

Shooting something interesting would also help

First, as stated in first post, it's mainly me playing with the DOF on my new lens.

Second, you may not think it's interesting, but I'm sure others may find it interesting. I don't find "modern art" interesting, but I don't go around bashing it, because I know a lot of others like it.

If you don't like it, and don't have anything constructive to say, why bother responding, except to make yourself look like a bitter, unhelpful, forum rat?

First, as stated in first post, it's mainly me playing with the DOF on my new lens.

Second, you may not think it's interesting, but I'm sure others may find it interesting. I don't find "modern art" interesting, but I don't go around bashing it, because I know a lot of others like it.

If you don't like it, and don't have anything constructive to say, why bother responding, except to make yourself look like a bitter, unhelpful, forum rat?

Get you :lol: try something original this has been done a thousand times

Get you :lol: try something original this has been done a thousand times

It's only been done once by me, so its original to me. ;-)

A little bit more DoF or focusing a tad farther out to get the distant end of the blue stack in focus woulda been nice as well.

That looks better!... Did you just up the brightness and add a little more saturation? No, I don't shoot in RAW... I've been thinking about if the benefit of the pp adjustments were worth the 1/4 amount pictures able to be stored on my SD card in RAW. I guess you think it's worth it, eh? (no I'm not Canadian :lol:)
Yes I do recommend shooting in Raw format.
But here is the thing, if you just plan on shooting something and maybe doing a couple minor tweaks to it and saving it for your own enjoyment, then maybe Jpeg is fine for you. But if you would like to be able to capture the best color and the most contrast, with the added ability of being able to edit your photos time and time again without any loss in detail, you'll want to shoot raw.
Jpeg averages the "like" colors, and the "like" contrast compressing the data to a much smaller size the the raw files. If you do shoot Jpeg, do all your editing right up front and save the image as Image Quality 12 and then leave it be, if you open it back up and edit additionally, you will have quality loss and it will be worse and worse with each time.

So it's my suggestion to shoot the stuff you care about in raw, and the stuff you dont in Jpeg. You can always convert raw to Jpeg, but not the other way.

As for your photo, I used the levels (Ctrl + L) and pulled the white off the white on the chip. Then opened it with Topaz Adjust 3 and fixed the exposure. Then opened it with Topaz Detail and hit it with creative detail, then opened it with Topaz Denoise 3 and hit it with a reduction.

I think it's a fine shot. I would have cropped more of the right and left more of the left in the frame, however.

Yes I do recommend shooting in Raw format.

As for your photo, I used the levels (Ctrl + L) and pulled the white off the white on the chip. Then opened it with Topaz Adjust 3 and fixed the exposure. Then opened it with Topaz Detail and hit it with creative detail, then opened it with Topaz Denoise 3 and hit it with a reduction.

Looks like you did more than just a "tweak" :lol: I'll give raw a shot and see how she goes. Thanks man.

I think it's a fine shot. I would have cropped more of the right and left more of the left in the frame, however.

Thanks for the suggestion. You're probably right. :thumbup:

Most reactions

Back