hoya circular polarizer filters

Discussion in 'Photography Beginners' Forum' started by florenceinitaly, Jan 28, 2010.

1. florenceinitaly

florenceinitaly TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    After reading much about filters in TPH, I have decided to purchase one - I think Hoya is a decent brand correct?

Does anyone use their circular polarizers? How is it compared to other brands like Tiffen and BW?

Also, their circular polarizer line is divided up into the "standard", "HMC", "Super HMC", "Super HMC Pro 1" - with an obviously price difference between the levels.

I think I want to get at least the HMC one, but I was wondering if ti's wroth the jump from the HMC to Super HMC, if there's a significant enough of a quality difference.

Also, under the "threading" description there is single and double - what is this referring to?

If someone can clarify all this terminology/classes for me that would be much appreciated..!!

2. dyyylan

dyyylan TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I can't say as to the hoya, but I got a cheap $15 filter kit off amazon that had good reviews, and the cpl that came with that is fine for me. I'm sure the Hoya would be even better.

3. icassell

icassell TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I use Hoya CPL's and they work for me.

4. florenceinitaly

Photos OK to edit
    I've also looked inot those cheaper filter kits and considered that - but then I heard a lot of ppl say that it could have a negative impact on image quality...since the glass/coating may not be as well? Any comments here?

5. Goontz

Goontz TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    True. Don't get the cheapest thing possible. I also have two Hoya CPLs (I think just their standard ones) and they work great. I don't use them for a whole lot, so couldn't really justify the extra cost of the HMC, etc, but they're definitely better filters.

Hoya's, in general, are good filters. They're not the best, but far from the worst.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2010
  6. J.Kendall

J.Kendall TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Hoya=good enough. Not necessarily the best, but I have one and it works good enough for me.

7. florenceinitaly

Photos OK to edit
    hmm so sounds like I am on the right track in getting a Hoya filter - I am thinking of getting it off ebay, the regular HMC one is $45, and pro-1 is $65 - both is still much cheaper then me buying it at my local camera store.

there is also the standard one for about $30

Since there seems to be a big price difference between ebay and prices, should I be concerned about genuineness of the product?

8. Derrel

Derrel Mr. Rain Cloud

Photos OK to edit
    Filters are one of *the* highest-markup items in a camera store. And I mean one of the very highest-markup items, along with camera bags and cases. Getting a good deal on filters on-line is one way to buy them, and that is why the price disparity is so huge between walk-in places and on-line vendors. Multiple Hong Kong vendors sell higher-grade Hoya filters at prices that are 60 percent below large,reputable USA dealers. Last year on another forum I was in, an alleged employee showed the terms of a "deal" that Hoya's parent company THK, was asking member stores to sign, with specific figures regarding the pricing levels of Hoya filters: the effort was seen by many as an attempt to establish a price floor for their filter products, and his store did NOT wish to sign the agreement. Judge for yourself what effect such an agreement would have on USA in-strore retail prices of filters sold under that brand's umbrella...

9. Goontz

Goontz TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Wow, interesting!

10. kundalini

kundalini Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I have a B+W for the 77mm lenses & Hoya Pro 1 for the 52 & 62mm lenses.

You don't need the most expensive, but the CPL is not one to cheap out on..... well, any filter for that matter.

11. florenceinitaly

Photos OK to edit
    yeah my thoughts exactly, so you notice a difference between your BW and Hoya filters?

12. kundalini

kundalini Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos NOT OK to edit