Hoya filter choice!?

kakody1

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
hello!
I' d like to make a question! (foolish maybe :meh: )(i' m a rookie)
I want to buy a hoya filter for my sony lense.
and i don' t know what to buy the green series UV hoya filter or the pro1 series?
Also i have the same dilemma about the CPL filter.
I' m not a pro so i don' t know what to buy.
Also the price difference is not negligible.
Thank in advance for your help!:lmao:

You've come to the right place. I own one Hoya UV filter in every series and posted a rough comparison:
http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/...100830-more-hoya-filter-comparison-tests.html

Summary. The price difference is not negligible and neither is the quality. I wouldn't recommend a standard non-multicoated filter to anyone. This is a case where protection is not worth the quality loss and I'd have to agree that no glass is much better than putting the crap green filters on a lens.
If budget is really a limiting factor then a HMC filter if you can still get them may be the best option. However I would recommend the SHMC filter for the best bang for buck. The Pro1 series is very very close to being identical in quality to the SHMC for sharpness, and may even be a step backwards in my opinion regarding flare. In any case the quality loss is so close to nothing with these good filters in place there's no reason not to use them (flare excepted), and then you can always take them off if they are causing flare issues.

The CPL is the same for a different reason. The Hoya standard CPL isn't only not sharp, but it bled colours in my sample and wasn't very consistent across the frame. The SHMC I bought was a big step up but a huge jump in price, so that comes down to how often you intend to use it. If you want to use a polariser as once offs a couple of times a year then go for the cheap one. But if you actually want it for landscape shots then I suggest investing in a good one, and with that I also suggest investing in one for your biggest lens and buying stepup rings for your smaller lens to keep costs down.

Thank you very much for your time & help.
That's all the information i was looking for.

i personally like B+W brand better, look into it

I' ll have in mind and i will check it out!
Thank u very much for your concern.

Most reactions

Back