Hoya RM72

Coldow91

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I am thinking of purchasing this filter inorder to shoot some infrared. What I am wondering is that this will work for shooting digital, and infrared black and white/color film.

it will work for digital and film, altho, i only use black and white IR film so can't coment for color IR film.

Shot on the D200 using the RM72, by far one of the worst cameras for IR photography:
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2180/2433580880_9c97964125_b.jpg

RM72 on a roll of Kodak HIE. They loved each other, pity the film is now gone:
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2201/2479741528_fedeb04232_o.jpg

I have no colour IR examples, but one thing to note is that this is not the ideal filter for it since the image comes out red / purple blueish. You're wasting the wonderful effect you can achieve. At least I think these are the type of images you may be after. For colour IR a yellow filter will cause a complete shift in colours that is most seen in colour IR photography.

This filter will only alow light to past on the IR side of 720nm. As such it will work with everything. If you look through the filter you will see... well... nothing really... But the filter IS still working. It is just that your eyes are not registering the light that is hitting them... And this is of course the problem.

If a roll of the late and much lamented HIE or EIR is behind the filter then you are in for a treat. If it is a DSLR then you must delve deeper. Some/ Many DSLRs have an I.R. Filter in front of the sensor chip to filter out the IR in order to make the recorded "NORMAL" image appear sharper. It is worth checking with your manufacturer to find out. Although with a bit of patience, a L O N G exposure and a VERY sturdy tripod almost anything is possible.

BTW Garbz. Nice shots of cootha. I was there in 2004 and was knocked out by the whole experience. Whish my holiday snaps had been in I.R. ! ! !

Last edited:
This filter will only alow light to past on the IR side of 720nm. As such it will work with everything. If you look through the filter you will see... well... nothing really... But the filter IS still working. It is just that your eyes are not registering the light that is hitting them... And this is of course the problem.

If a roll of the late and much lamented HIE or EIR is behind the filter then you are in for a treat. If it is a DSLR then you must delve deeper. Some/ Many DSLRs have an I.R. Filter in front of the sensor chip to filter out the IR in order to make the recorded "NORMAL" image appear sharper. It is worth checking with your manufacturer to find out. Although with a bit of patience, a L O N G exposure and a VERY sturdy tripod almost anything is possible.

BTW Garbz. Nice shots of cootha. I was there in 2004 and was knocked out by the whole experience. Whish my holiday snaps had been in I.R. ! ! !

Thanks,

btw absolutely ALL DSLRs have this IR cut filter, and nearly all point and shoots do too. It's to counteract photodiodes being overly sensitive to IR. It actually has little to do with sharpness since the loss of sharpness is actually to do with lenses bending IR light differently than visible light, and is well corrected on many nicer APO lenses. If you remove the filter certain parts of your photo (green plants especially) turn to an ugly muddy orange and tend to glow because of the IR light.

As a quick comparison the D200 shot above was ~10 seconds at f/4.5 ISO200, and the photo of my friend shot on HIE was 1/40th f/5.6 ISO400 A whole ~7-8 stops difference exclusively because of the D200's IR cut (or low-pass) filter

Most reactions

Back