HS Girls' Basketball

ShootHoops

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.ariellemyers.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
These photos pretty much tell me that I need a different lens for this sport.

Basketball020.jpg

Basketball037.jpg

Basketball041.jpg

Basketball085.jpg

Basketball093.jpg

Basketball100.jpg

Basketball136.jpg

Any thoughts?

some motions nice sometimes, but i'll agree with you.

how fast is that lens?

sigma makes a f/2.8 50-150mm lens you might like . .. pretty good bang for the buck i think

If you're going to be doing alot of PJ stuff, get an f/2.8 lens. My 80-200mm f/2.8 paid for itself in 2 weeks from parents buying prints of their kids from me. If you're out there on the court and parents come up to you beucase they see you there with a big lens on, they'll ask for prints of their kids.

Not only that, but if you shoot at ISO 1600 and have an aperture of f/2.8, go ahed and say good bye to motion blur.

A better lens would help but what you really need is lighting, 2 remote strobes in the rafters aimed at the backboards. That’s the way it is done in the pro’s & collage. Now I understand that this is likely not an option for you.

My first subjection would be to keep practicing till you learn the lens youhave. The second would to see if it would be ok to use an on camera flash tilt up and maybe put two flashes in slave mode high in the bleaches on monopod to add more height (opposite corners).

Yes, an F2.8 zoom would really help. Or...a fast prime would be good also, but not as convenient maybe. A 50mm F1.8 might work...or an 85mm F1.8.

Basketball is a sport with a lot of movement...but there are great moments when the movement is at a minimum...like at the top of a jump shot, just before the ball is released....or at tip off...or just before someone makes a move etc. If you concentrate on snapping the photo just at these moments...you can get shots with less movement blur. It takes practice...so keep at it.

Jeff Canes said:
A better lens would help but what you really need is lighting, 2 remote strobes in the rafters aimed at the backboards. That’s the way it is done in the pro’s & collage. Now I understand that this is likely not an option for you.

My first subjection would be to keep practicing till you learn the lens youhave. The second would to see if it would be ok to use an on camera flash tilt up and maybe put two flashes in slave mode high in the bleaches on monopod to add more height (opposite corners).
You don't want to be too obnoxious, stobes in the rafters? overkill for high school. Even an SB-600 or something like that would be really distracting for the players.

Sw1tchFX said:
Even an SB-600 or something like that would be really distracting for the players.

That's something I definitely wouldn't want to do...considering I know the whole Varsity team, and they know where I live! :lol:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back