Huey Pro vs. Spyder 3

Discussion in 'Photography Equipment & Products' started by icassell, Feb 4, 2009.

1. icassell

icassell TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    I just got my gorgeous new Dell 2209WA IPS monitor and now am looking to supplement it with monitor calibration (I've been using the uncalibrated WUXGA+ monitor on my Dell 830 laptop until now).

Which calibrator would you recommend? I don't want to spend an arm and a leg and it seems that the real choice is between the spyder and the huey. I'm running XP Pro.

What are the advantages/disadvantages of each? In the price range ($100 +/- a bit) is there a better choice?

Thanks,

Ian

Last edited: Feb 4, 2009
  2. JerryPH

JerryPH No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    The Spyder Pro seems to always gets better reviews than the Huey. I've only seen a Huey once, and never tried it... but the person who had it, also said that they tried it a few times and it was useless to them.

Save a little money... unless you need printer profiling AND multiple monitor support, save yourself some money and just get the Spyder III.

BTW... expect to have some serious challenges calibrating *any* LCD monitor, especially the Dells. For some reason they are the most calibrator UN-friendly units out there.

3. icassell

icassell TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Hmmm .... the spyder III is actually a bit more money on amazon than the huey pro (about $130 vs about $95), but I'll go with the one that's better. I know nothing about monitor calibration or how it is done. Is this a software fix in the computer video card output? To show my lack of knowledge, what is printer profiling?

Ian

4. Garbz

Garbz No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I have heard nothing good from the Huey. In fact I have read 3 negative articles about it while looking for a calibrator for my machine. I settled on the iOne Display 2, but I have heard good things from the Spyder 3 (not the 2, the 2 apparently has all sorts of issues with LED backlighting and wide gamuts).

5. YesWeCannon

YesWeCannon TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I would definitely choose the Spyder over the huey, it's just a better product hands down. [​IMG]