Huge newbie question!

dtlasky

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I am looking into buying an entry level DSLR for use as my main camera for shooting indoor shots at events such as basketball games, hockey games, and also outdoor sports such as baseball. I need a lens that will allow me to make the correct zoom so that i do not have to do so much cropping. My question is do you think a 55-200mm lens would be adequate in situations such as these? What size would you recommend?

I will be shooting using the Nikon d40, the reason i ask this question is because there is a package deal including a 55-200mm lens along with the stock kit lens of 18-55mm, and i need to know if I might be better off purchasing a different lens separately.

I will be standing about anywhere from 10-100 feet away from the subject when i am taking these pictures.

I will be standing mostly in the stands and somtimes around the field so i would say anywhere from 20-100 feet away.

I know you have Nikon but this will help you anyways: http://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthread.php?t=86975

My guess is no, the 55-200 will not be long enough. On top of that if you are shooting indoors at basketball/hockey games it won't be fast enough either. But that would really only apply to the way that I like to shoot those events so what do I know?

You will probably have to get a fixed focal at f/2.8. This has limited appeal though as it's not versatile at all. Good for sports, long range nature shots and stalking only.

From my experince with year book and school newspapers, these events are NOT lit properly, so you need a fast lens.

You could probably get away with 200mm on a basketball court, if your stood on the sidelines, the faster the lens the better, the field of play for the other sports is larger, 200mm isn't long enough, forget about shooting from the stands.

kit lenses are usually pants btw - dealer economics

Most reactions

Back