HUGE panorama (170 deg +/-), I want honest opinions

battletone

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Yes I made it smaller for the web. Its a 2.5meg JPEG.

I have taken a couple small panoramas and used photomerge in CS4 to mangle them, and mask them. This one didn't work. Photomerge appeared to have only aligned and rotated. I had to mask everything (which is probably for the best) and in some cases, copy/paste/paint/distort/warp/clone/heal/etc. to fix (a little at least) perspectives and patters.

I spent a solid 8 hours last night doing this.

BACKGROUND:
This is my grandparents farm so this is both for fun/learning/experimenting, but also something relatives can maybe see and enjoy if they choose to get it printed since there hasn't be a picture from the sky taken in more than a couple decades, and probably won't be anytime soon.

It is 20 photos. There is bluring of some trees as there was wind. That doesn't bother me so much, but I am blind since I created this.

I resized to 800px high and did a little unsharpening mask, but that is about it. The full image @240ppi is about 18.5" x 147".

If it is terrible and amature and something I should be embarrass with, please let me know. (mainly because of how much I just found out it will cost to get even a 10x80 print)

Farm Panorama

I only viewed it on my portable, didn't pixelpeep on the big LCD.
But question I gotta ask is - is it worth it it for u to pay for the print to give as a gift?
Do you think it is a worthwhile effort?
I am my own harshestcritic, though often I look back and say 'wow, I did that?'
step back, look at it objectively. Analyze it technically.
Do you want it hanging in their house? Will u pay for a frame??

I think the large image is very well seemed together and it has a lot going on. It sucks that it was an overcast day as the panorama would have been a lot better with a nice blue sky

I think this is something that might look really cool as 4 10x20 prints. you can put them on the wall with a little bit of space between them to create a really cool effect. Even if you got 8x10s, it would still be really cool.

I think the large image is very well seemed together and it has a lot going on. It sucks that it was an overcast day as the panorama would have been a lot better with a nice blue sky

Hmmm.... I agree. The only issue is the this pano goes from east around to south and then out west. If I didn't have cloud cover I think I would have had issues with lens flares and/or the sun in some of the photos.
If the sun was as directly overhead as it will get this far north, I was thinking then my image would suffer from extreme contrast issues.

Thoughts on that?

I think this is something that might look really cool as 4 10x20 prints. you can put them on the wall with a little bit of space between them to create a really cool effect. Even if you got 8x10s, it would still be really cool.
:thumbup:

Depending on what time of day it was you could get some flares...but I think its worth a shot. Shoot at first light and I think you will have the best luck. Also make sure you have your lens hood on if you have one. Even if you have a slight flare in part of the image you might be happier with the result overall. I think the breaking up idea is a good effect also.

Most reactions

Back