Huh? 2 new Sigma 150-600??

Strange indeed. All I hear is blah blah blah.

That IS odd. Clearly they are trying to cover the Tamron market and also those who wanted something of a more professional quality than the Tammy, but honestly, as long as it's still a f/5-6.3 lens, I sure can't see paying any more money for the "Sport" version.

Price points yet to be determined, so we'll see. Dang it, I was really hoping to be able to make the leap to that Tammy lens pretty soon. This COULD muddy the waters, depending on what the price point even is on that Contemporary lens. If the price is competitive, I might have to wait till it actually comes out and see how the IQ stacks up against Tamron's lens.

How strange, Sigma introduced a pair of 150-600 lenses. One is obviously a direct competitor to the Tamron, dubbed "Contemporary" and the other is the "sport" version. Seems strange... Sigma Corporation announces a pair of 150-600mms with advanced features and optics | Sigma Corporation of America

The "two-for" does seem a little odd. The "low-end" one almost has to be priced below Tamron's if it's going to make any sort of splash at all, given all the traction Tamron's getting, and I think on the high end, they're going to have to be careful, too -- depending on how they price it, I'd think they might be competing with their own 120-300 2.8 w/ 2x TC.

As it is, I'd be torn between Tamron's 150-600 and Canon's 100-400 (which I loved when I rented it). That space is getting really crowded!

Well so far at least the Sigma 70-200 2.8 with a 2x TC has been doing the job well enough for those times when I need a little more reach. Would love to get something in the 600 range but not sure I can justify spending that much since I doubt it would be a lens I'd use a ton.

WOW--now that is totally unexpected!!! Good, better, best. Two-tier product production is not all that unusual from the camera makers, but this is the first time I can recall a third party lens maker offering the same type of lens in two different grades. But, consider the 70-200mm f/4 and 70-200mm f/2.8 zoom category; Canon and Nikon both offer a high-end consumer/prosumer f/4 model, and then their best-in-class f/2.8 models. Looks like Sigma is doing something similar; one high-priced model that is the best one they make, and a second, lower-cost, slightly lower-spec'd model.

This category, the loooong zoom category has always been limited in terms of items available to the consumer at affordable prices, so it makes sense to try and hit this segment hard. Soooo many d-slr noobs want "a wildlife lens", and frankly, the 70-300mm f/4~5.6 or f/4.5~5.6 lenses just are not long enough to satisfy the reach desires many people want.

Really curious to see the pricing vs.IQ of the two different versions.

150-600mm F5-6.3
DG OS HSM | S

Pro-quality, designed
for high-action photography.

• Embodies the concept of our Sports line
• Dust proof & splash proof construction
• High-action capture performance
• 2 FLD & 3 SLD glass elements
• 24 Elements / 16 Groups
• Filter Size | 105mm

150-600mm F5-6.3
DG OS HSM | C

High performance lens, designed to be compact for ultimate portability.

• Image quality comparable to Sports lens
• Lightweight & compact, easy handling for longer days
• Dust proof & splash proof mount
• 1 FLD & 3 SLD glass elements
• 20 Elements / 14 Groups
• Filter Size | 95mm

WOW--now that is totally unexpected!!! Good, better, best. Two-tier product production is not all that unusual from the camera makers, but this is the first time I can recall a third party lens maker offering the same type of lens in two different grades. But, consider the 70-200mm f/4 and 70-200mm f/2.8 zoom category; Canon and Nikon both offer a high-end consumer/prosumer f/4 model, and then their best-in-class f/2.8 models. Looks like Sigma is doing something similar.

But all the examples you've mentioned at least do have a difference in aperture, which makes a bit more sense to me. Two lenses of different grades, but both with the same variable aperture--I don't know, I just don't really get it.

WOW--now that is totally unexpected!!! Good, better, best. Two-tier product production is not all that unusual from the camera makers, but this is the first time I can recall a third party lens maker offering the same type of lens in two different grades. But, consider the 70-200mm f/4 and 70-200mm f/2.8 zoom category; Canon and Nikon both offer a high-end consumer/prosumer f/4 model, and then their best-in-class f/2.8 models. Looks like Sigma is doing something similar.

Very unexpected. I would however be shocked if sigma came out with a lens costing more than $5k.

Nothing surprises me anymore after the art lenses. From here on out, expect anything and everything.

Honestly I'm not totally surprised - Sigma might not have a DSLR line, but they are clearly keen on furthering their lens line-up to stand toe to toe with the big names.

Honestly it sounds like a good move; compete directly with Tamron, and then offer something better; something to tempt people to save or upgrade to in their own lens line up (Rather than lose them say to a 300mm f2.8 +2*TC or other options)

compete directly with Tamron, and then offer something better; something to tempt people to save or upgrade to in their own lens line up (Rather than lose them say to a 300mm f2.8 +2*TC or other options)

Agreed, sounds like a good business plan to me. The more choice we have the better. They are offering us a Chevy and a Cadillac. Hold on, that may not actually help my point :black_eyed:

Very unexpected. I would however be shocked if sigma came out with a lens costing more than $5k.
You obviously never saw the Sigma 200-500mm f/2.8 that weighs in at $25,999.00

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You obviously never saw the Sigma 200-500mm f/2.8 that weighs in at $25,999.00

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I doubt anyone has seen it. At least not in person. :biggrin-new:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back