huh...weird questions here

mentos_007

The Freshmaker!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
so... I'm playing with my new husband (Rebel XT) and please.. give me some tips and tricks:

1. what do you do with the lens cap?? With my previous cam this was easy cos it was easily attached to the camera strap... and now, I'm afraid I'll loose it someday

2. what about sharpness? I heard that some people set the image sharnes at +2 because on "normal" the picture is not really sharp. Is that true?

And Admins and Mods... I hope you don't mind me bumping this thread often with stupid questions like this :)

3. what resolution do you usually shoot at? the best one? where the file is 3.3 MB large? I have 1 gb card and I'm thinking about capacity...

4. have you ever had problems with CF cards? I own one... one 1gb card... and I'm wondering if it is not going to fail me...

1- If you can find one use a cap holder that attaches to your strap, at least that's what I use. I use to put the cap in my pocket but I'd just end up throwing it in with the laundry.
2- I'll defer to the Cannon owners on this one
3- It all depends on what you intend to do with the image. If its a detailed scene and the final product needs to be large I use the biggest file size available.

I just leave the lens cap in my bag or stick it in my pocket. If you want to stick it on your strap, I think you can find an adhesive clip that would do the trick.

I sharpen in photoshop, so I don't worry too much about in-camera sharpening.

I shoot at either large fine JPEG, RAW or RAW + JPEG. If you find that you do not have enough memory...I'd suggest getting more memory rather than lowering your image size.

I have several different cards from different makers...I have never had a problem with any of them.

(1) I put it in my pocket when I start shooting and never put the camera back in its case without the Lens Cap so that I remember to take it out of my pocket.

(2) I'll defer to Canon users, but upping sharpness is usually a software function rather than hardware, so I'd leave it at stock and sharpen it in PS later if needed.

(3) If you're willing to do postprocessing on every image, shooting in RAW is great, otherwise I shoot in the largest size and normal compression JPG. On Nikons the "Normal" compression is fantastic for shooting and saves considerable space over "Fine"; I'd suspect Canons were similar but I have no experience.

Hi, i have the same camera - yeah!! I
1. I just put it in my pocket but the strap idea sounds cool!
2. I am quite happy with the sharpness of mine - i had a 'canon professional' guy over for a short in-home course a few weeks ago to teach me all about the camera plus a few of his tricks... he recommended leaving sharpness @ 0 and to adjust in ps if necessary...which is what i do anyway
3. For general shots i use the highest res jpeg and am happy with the quality... because of advice from this site i shoot all official stuff with RAW then do postprocessing with the software that came with the camera - zoombrowser.
4. I have a 1gb card only at the moment but will be buying more (of a lot of things!) once finances allow - shooting best jpeg i can get approx 475 - 500pics, and raw about 180..
Hope this helps xx

1. I use the adhesive 'strap' cap, which is 80% handy. I find it can be a bit of a nuisance when it a) slids towards the manual focus or zoom areas b) For longer exposures, I have to take it off anyways to prevent any shaking as it swings back and forth c) I have had the cap several times fall off from the adhesive and have almost lost it (Though, that might just be a personal problem ;))

2. I personally leave the sharpness at 0 and edit the sharpness in photoshop.

3. In most cases, RAW. But if it happens to be a family reunion or party with plenty of people who want the pictures sent out to them within a day or two and though I am watching exposure etc. I am not shooting for artistic merit, highest JPEG form.

4. Only problem I have ever had is with a new card and when I put it in it read something along the lines of "no-CF" no matter how many times I put it in. Formatted it and it worked fine ever since. With your card you probably received a little disc with program specificially for retrieving any corrupted/accidently deleted pictures. Mind you, I haven't had to test it out yet.

Some Lexar CF cards to not work with all Canon models, I have 2 older Lexar CF cards that work fine will my 10D but have error problems with my 1D MIIn

1. Pocket
2. Normal sharpness
3. Depends. For my personal or commericial work I always shoot raw. If someone wants me to take pictures at a party or something I just shoot jpeg. Basically decide whether the people you are taking pictures for will notice the quality difference.
4. The only problems I have are when I shoot a card in two different cameras. The biggest problem I've had is not seeing 20d raw files when I shoot the rest of a card in a digital rebel.

1. another vote for the pocket. I borrowed a friends lens that had one of those lens cap strap things (so it hangs off the lens), but I got so annoyed with the thing flapping around that I would jsut take it off anyways.

2. Sharpen in photoshop, I had never even thought about doing it on the camera...

3. I shoot RAW all the time, except in the very rare instance where I'm shooting something that I know I will never want to use for any serious purposes. But if in doubt, shoot RAW, cause its better to have a file to big then to small.

4. Never had any problems with my CF card.

Have fun with your husband.

1. in the bit of my bag that holds my body
2 just addjust in ps if its not sharp enough
3 shoot at best i have a gig and very rarly run out of space
4.one of the mags in the uk carnt remember which one they drove a car over a car and could still retrive the data on it so there not very likly to fail

just my 2 pence

mentos_007 said:
1. what do you do with the lens cap?? With my previous cam this was easy cos it was easily attached to the camera strap... and now, I'm afraid I'll loose it someday

2. what about sharpness? I heard that some people set the image sharnes at +2 because on "normal" the picture is not really sharp. Is that true?

And Admins and Mods... I hope you don't mind me bumping this thread often with stupid questions like this :)

3. what resolution do you usually shoot at? the best one? where the file is 3.3 MB large? I have 1 gb card and I'm thinking about capacity...

4. have you ever had problems with CF cards? I own one... one 1gb card... and I'm wondering if it is not going to fail me...

1. I put it in my pocket, which is actually a bad habit as it gets the lens cap dusty, but everything else I've tried ended up with me losing the lens caps.

2. Photos from digital cameras need to be sharpened. I prefer to do it in post-processing, but some folks like it to come out of the camera ready to go.

3. I always shoot at max resolution. Buy more memory, it's cheap.

4. I use Sandisk CF cards, and haven't ever had any problems. Everything fails eventually though.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back