huh?

Discussion in 'Photographic Discussions' started by mysteryscribe, Feb 4, 2007.

1. mysteryscribe

mysteryscribe TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    Now I know I'm pretty slow sometimes. And I am positive that there will people waiting in line to enlighten me. So please explain to me about these people who LOVE criticism but who have not alright to edit my shots in big red letter under their name.

I know there must be some difference between, "This would be better if you cropped out the lady in the red hat." and... "See if you had cropped out the lady in the red hat it would have looked like this." But somehow I missed it.

Like I said I'm sure people are dying to explain the contradiction to me....

2. Torus34

Torus34 No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
    Life is filled with contradictions. It becomes even more interesting when the contradiction leads to a paradox.

3. Maxx RS4

Maxx RS4 TPF Noob!

i think the tag under the name means that they don't want other people to take their photos and edit them with photoshop etc.

Critiquing is just giving opinions and advice on photos..

4. That sounds about right to me.

5. markc

markc TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I don't see a contradiction.

If someone gives me a critique, I can get what they are saying without having to see an actual edit. I think editing a person's photo and reposting is most useful for people who are new to photography. It lets them see exactly what you are talking about. If I give a critique to someone like DigitalMatt, I know that I don't need to post an edit, and really, I wouldn't want to.

My images are my vision, and I really don't want them messed with by someone else. I know what I want and what I'm going for. I still like having critiques, but I want to be the one to decide if those changes are appropriate. That may sound funny coming from someone who does a lot of editing of other people's work, but like I said, it's a great teaching tool. I don't feel comfortable doing that with someone's work once they've developed a vision, unless they've specifically asked me to.

6. mysteryscribe

mysteryscribe TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I find it rather amusing, but hell i dont have a vision.... I just make pictures...

7. markc

markc TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Good grief. I try. I really do.

You asked why, and in a mocking manner to boot. I gave you one person's view, and you mock that too.

8. mysteryscribe

mysteryscribe TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I guess you are just going to have to give up ole buddy. I find it amusing that people can sit there and say I dont want you to touch my sacred photos but I do want critique. I made no bones I have always felt that way.

And I find most people who do that pompus.

9. cherrymoose

cherrymoose TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    You know what I think? That you two should stop fighting. Mysteryscribe, I don't want to make you an enemy, but I do see Mark's point of view... and not yours, at all. Like he said, it's just a method of teaching. I would make an analogy to show you, but I'm not that good at them so please, just accept the fact that some people can like editing other people's photos, but would prefer to have their's untouched. It's not that big of a deal.

10. bla

bla TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Well no one is here to make enemies, so let's not take any sides. I can understand both markc and mysteryscribe, and I think there's plenty of explanations here to satisfy the original question.

11. Arch

Arch Damn You! Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Who said anything about being open to critique, having to mean that other people can edit your photos with software?

You can also say 'im open to critique' without it having anything to do with editing pictures.
    i.e. if you have a portrait of a couple... someone might say i'dont like the pose'.... or 'next time maybe change thier hand position'.
    Thats critique.... pulling it into photoshop and editing it wont help you change the position of people.... or recompose the shot.

So there certainly is no contradiction there.... you are getting critique but you still dont want anyone to take it into software and start messing around with it.

But even as far as software editing goes....as mark suggested, some of us like to visualize an idea, then make it happen. If the critique is something along the lines of 'take away the garbage can in the background'.... you can choose to go with that idea, as it may be something you didnt notice.
    However if the critique is 'crop the person out on the right and give it a sepia conversion', this may be totally destructive to your original idea.... so you would choose to ignore it.
    Having the 'Not ok to edit' text, prevents you from finding that after logging on the next day, someone had croped your image and given it a terrible sepia conversion.

If you are new to photography, having someone experienced in the software edit your pictures, is a great way to learn and see how your images can look with a more knowledgable hand. So these people would choose the 'ok to edit' text.

So im sorry, i dont see your contradiction... we dont make up rules just to confuse or annoy people ;)

12. Alex_B

Alex_B No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    well, i do allow everyone to edit my images ... true. but i can understand if someone prefers others not to download their images and edit them on their computer and save them to their server.

actually, if i posted in original resolution on this forum, I would not allow people to edit my images. still i would welcome critizism. to me this is no contradiction.