Humidity

Discussion in 'Photography Beginners' Forum' started by zbo2408, Jun 11, 2009.

1. zbo2408

zbo2408 TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    For those of ya'll that live underwater like I do ... Well here in Charleston SC we have very high humidity and I always have to temper my lenses... I make multiple trips from inside to out to remove the humidity fog from the lens... It's always annoying and this morning a house on my street was on fire and I grabbed my camera to run outside and get some pics, more of the fire trucks than the house and since it was 0645 in the a.m. and there was a heavy due and I could not get my lens clear. When I went back inside my mini weather station tells me it's 95% outside...

How do I deal with humidity fog on my lens ?!?!?

2. farmerj

farmerj TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    keep them in the environment you want to operate in.

3. zbo2408

zbo2408 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    For some reason I don't think storing my lenses in 90-105* heat with consistent 60-85% humidity is going to be good for them.

4. manaheim

manaheim Jedi Bunnywabbit Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    When you are changing temperature and humidity conditions on your gear, stick them into large zip-lock bags and wait for them to acclamate to the temp a bit before taking them out. I always keep 3-4 giant ziplocks in my camera bag. Works very well.

5. farmerj

farmerj TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit

I didn't say it would be good for them.

The plastic bag is a good idea. It's more keeping it at temp than anything.

It's the temp difference between your lens and the outdoors that's causing the condensation.

How can a good ol' boy from Minnesota know about that?

I used to wear glasses, and in the winter you would walk inside from -10 F to 70 F room temp. Instant fog over. Enough so, you actually would have a layer of FROST on your glasses.

Try putting that lens (or a glass water glass) in your freezer sometime and pull it out inside the house. Same thing.

Unless you keep it at the ambient temp outside, you will have condensation issues.