Hummingbird Pictures for C&C

NC Labman

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I've been trying to take some pictures of the hummingbirds around my feeder recently. There have been a lot of misses, but here are 4 of my best so far. I'm doing more crop that I would like to, but the 85mm 1.8 is the only lens I own right now with enough aperture to let me get my shutter speed where I want it. Pictures were all shot at ISO 1250/ Aperture 2.0 - 2.8, and Shutter speed 1/2500 - 1/5000. Any feedback or suggestions would be appreciated.

DPP_0217.jpg

DPP_0218.jpg

DPP_0220.jpg

DPP_0221.jpg

very hard bird to capture without using a strobe and even then...
you done a pretty good job
well done

I'm jealous, I have tons of hummingbirds that visit my feeder but everytime I setup my tripod and wait......nothing..They are mean birds..

These look great. They are pretty noisy likely due to your crop (or maybe because your ISO is at 1250). You might try a bit of noise reduction.

tried to get rid of some noise and bring out some more color.(im no pro)

DPP_0217.jpg

Yes, that's much better!

I think you are doing a great job. Keep at it.

What software package did you utilize for the noise reduction? I'm still thinking of getting PSE, but have not taken the plunge yet.

The pictures are all handhelds, no tripods utilized. My feeder hangs right outside the kitchen window. The hummingbirds are like flies around my deck. When they get really thick I simply slide the window open and wait for them to show up. They are typically about 20" - 30" away. They are amazingly calm to let me stand there and fiddle with the camera manual focus inside the house. Due to their small size and erratic flight pattern any use of auto focus is out of the question. They are remarkably patient with me as I stand there and try to capture their photo. My one disappointmenmt is that females dominate the feeder. I see at least 10-15 females for every 1 male. I am still hoping foor a really good shot of a ruby throated male.

I love the fourth one. You've done great-- those little things are fast as lightning.

good shots! i like the last one the best. very hard shot to get. nice job

My one disappointmenmt is that females dominate the feeder. I see at least 10-15 females for every 1 male. I am still hoping foor a really good shot of a ruby throated male.

I think you need to hang some of your pix of the females around the feeder and the males will be attracted :lmao:

I edited it in lightroom if that helps

Pictures were all shot at ISO 1250/ Aperture 2.0 - 2.8, and Shutter speed 1/2500 - 1/5000. Any feedback or suggestions would be appreciated.

Is your feeder in the shade? I shoot quite a few hummingbirds and have never needed to shoot that high of an ISO or shutter speeds that fast.

When sitting on the feeder, I shoot at ISO 200-250, 1/250, F5.6
In flight I shoot at ISO 200-250, 1/500-1/640, F5.6
When shooting macro shots, I shoot at ISO 200-250, 1/250-1/400, F5.6

I tend to shoot with a 70-300mm lens so that cropping is not all that necessary.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back