Hummingbird shots

Johnboy2978

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
www.johncountsphotography.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi all. I had a cook out tonight, and as some friends were leaving, one noticed a baby hummingbird that had apparently fallen out of the nest and was not quite able to fly yet.

So my buddy began nursing it so that it could gain its strength...

DSC03276web.jpg

and once it got the taste for the sugar water, it began drinking from a straw...
DSC03292web.jpg

Here's my buddy, the surrogate father watching over it ....
DSC03288web.jpg

DSC03287web.jpg

Just thought these made for some interesting pics.
I know that the shots of them in flight are much more challenging, but haven't mastered those shots yet.

these are great! i love hummers, and i have quite a few feeders, and hummers... the action shots are hard, but your colors are great, and the story is awesome....
did she fly off???
i have had them fly into the glass french doors, and i can go out, hold them... and if you give them a bit of time, they will fly off.... but i had one that she still comes back to me when i go outside...she will land on my hand as i try to fill the feeders...i know its her, cause she has a small dot under her eye....anyway... cool cool shots...lucky you....just think... you helped a baby...and her future babies....!!

I love the one with your fingure in the picture. Love the use of color...

A great story.. and beautiful pictures to go with it... well done :thumbsup:

Never mind you did not yet catch them in flight - this series is a very nice one, too, along with the story.
Thanks for also putting up the photo of your friend, the "surrogate father", so we can see how small these birds really are (we haven't got hummingbirds in Germany, you know).

All the close-ups are really sweet - how did you colour this water?

Thanks for the responses guys. The little guy stayed in our garage last night to keep it safe from predators. This morning, he was fed again and we had a bit of flight practice, but he is still pretty timid of gravity. I think that he may be just milking it some to enjoy the luxury of having someone hand/straw feeding it :)
LaFoto, the "nectar" is a mixture of sugar and water with a drop of red food coloring. It's pretty much what you buy in the store to fill the humming bird feeders. Supposedly, they need the red color to see it better. Dunno, but it seems to like it.

Jeeze there were so many pictures posted over the last couple of days and I totally missed these. The pictures are well done. Kind of heart warming at the same time, espeacially the first one where his is feeding it with his finger. Never saw a picture of a humming bird at rest that I can recall. What a nice color in their wings.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back