Hummingbird

Discussion in 'Photography Beginners' Forum' started by ajkramer87, Jun 25, 2010.

1. ajkramer87

ajkramer87 TPF Noob!

I went to a family outing and there was a hummingbird feeder. Before long one started coming around. I really was unprepaired for this. The only lens I had with me was my 50mm. Second one was the best I got. I like the first one because the tail feathers were spread open. So I learned that I will now keep my bag with me whenever I go away. Thanks for looking.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. benlonghair

benlonghair TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    The problem with feeders is that, well, they're feeders. They don't look good in a photo.

This shot is shot about 2' above a feeder. Basically he's defending his territory.

Personally, I would try very hard to keep the feeder out of the photo.

3. ajkramer87

ajkramer87 TPF Noob!

I agree the feeder isnt very nice looking but had I not taken the pictues at the feeder there would be no pictures at all. There was some flute type flowers but she didnt go anywhere near them.

4. Boomn4x4

Boomn4x4 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Dangle the feeder from a broom stick.... have someone hold it and when the bird comes in to feed.... WHAM... jerk the feeder up and take the shot

5. ajkramer87

ajkramer87 TPF Noob!

Thats not a bad idea. Does it work? Wouldnt that scare them away. A few times when I lifted the camera to my eye she took off. Ill have to try that next time.

6. benlonghair

benlonghair TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Ya, hummingbirds are defiantly not easy to shoot. Your best bet might be to set up multiple feeders and get multiple families in your yard so you have more chances to photograph them. :)

7. Hardrock

Hardrock TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit

Greatness! What a great picture in my head. I could see my wife holding the broom stick while I was fumbling with the camera trying to get the shot. :lmao:

8. Boomn4x4

Boomn4x4 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I was joking...:lmao: But if you are going to try it... get it on video, I'd love to see that on YouTube. :thumbup:

9. ajkramer87

ajkramer87 TPF Noob!

Thank god. There is no way I could get my wife to hold a broom stick with a bird feeder tied to the end of it. That would be pretty funny to see though.

10. cynicalbeauty

cynicalbeauty TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    you could try getting the bird as they approach the feeder like in the first shot. When I took pictures at the feeder I tried to shoot so the feeder was on one side of the frame, then I just cropped it out later.

I am new at this though so really don't know if thats a practical idea or not. I had my own issues with the hummingbirds! :greenpbl:

11. ajkramer87

ajkramer87 TPF Noob!

I tried but got some OoF shots. These are all ready pretty croped since all I had was my 50mm lens that day. The one where it is coming in to the feeder was just dumb luck. It was going back and forth to the feeder so I was just doing some rapid shooting. Next time I will stand on the other side of the feeder to keep it out of the shot. Thanks for the advice