Hunting Photo

Discussion in 'Critique Forum Archives' started by Wolff, Nov 16, 2006.

1. Wolff

Wolff TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    My husband is a big hunter so I'd like to get some cool shots of him and our dog that are frame worthy. I liked this one but in order to not cut off the gun I had to move them down. Does it seem to off ballance.

[​IMG]

2. oldnavy170

oldnavy170 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    My fiance is a big hunter too. Now that bow season is over he is going for shotgun this weekend. Keep the photos coming.........

3. Shakka Brah

Shakka Brah TPF Noob!

I personally would rather get a pic of him actually hunting or pretending. Thats just me.
    I dont think he looks off balance it looks like he is kind of holding the dog from wandering off.

4. Big Mike

Big Mike I am Big, I am Mike Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    In a lot of cases...you don't want the subject to be centered in the image...but you do want some sense of balance. I don't mind all the space above him...but I don't like the gun being so vertical. If the gun was at an angle, I think it would look better.

And that branch in front of him is annoying. A little work in Photoshop could remove it...but it's easier to do it before you shoot.

Are these scans from film? There is a funky grain on the image that looks like what I had on my photos when I used to get them scanned on CD with development.

5. LaFoto

LaFoto Just Corinna in real life Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    To me it looks slightly tilted though that may also be the way that tree on the right grew ... but that tree gives this whole frame a kind of tilted look.
    Yes, I also see the grain and wonder whether that would become more visible in an enlargement or whether that doesn't matter that much since this is a scanned print, anyway, and the negative it totally free of any grain?

If he lowered the gun to next to himself instead of placing it on his thigh it might be easier to get a photo where he and the dog play a major part and not the area above his head and the background?

6. Philip Weir

Philip Weir TPF Noob!

Sydney, Australia. The land of peace and sunshine.
    Main problem is, there is too much in the shot, so close up on the subject. You don't need the whole gun in to get the effect. I cropped and twisted the shot. Trust this helps you.
    www.philipweirphotography.com

[​IMG]