Hw do I see image instantly?

Discussion in 'Digital Discussion & Q&A' started by rabhobbes, Aug 29, 2007.

1. rabhobbes

rabhobbes TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    Okay, here's what my company wants to do, and I can't find out anywhere how/what others are using to do this. It can't be that complicated, the studio we used previously had the same setup.

We are setting up a small product photo studio, and want to instantaneously see the shots taken on a computer monitor, as they are taken. How is this accomplished? I have done a ton of searches online, and nothing is coming up. Feeling stupid!
    Any help is appreciated, thanks.

2. Big Mike

Big Mike I am Big, I am Mike Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Welcome to the forum.

Most cameras will include software (or it will be avaliable through the company) that will allow this. Then all you need to do, is tether the camera to the computer with the USB connection.

There are some high end cameras or accesories that have a WiFi transmitter, which should allow the same with, but without the tethered cable.

3. rabhobbes

rabhobbes TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I knew it was something simple ;)...we may be going with something like a Nikon D70, or along those lines...so when we purchase it, it's just a matter of making sure it does come with software to do this with? Basically, plug the camera into the computer, pop the software in, and that's it--you see the images as they are shot pop up on the monitor? What exactly is it called, "instant previewing?"

I have a Nikon D50 personally, and don't recall any software that came with it to do this with...but I also wasn't specifically looking to do this, so I probably didn't pay any attention to info regarding it.

Thanks for your quick reply.

4. Digital Matt

Digital Matt alter ego: Analog Matt

Photos NOT OK to edit
    It's called shooting "tethered", so keep that in mind when shopping.

5. Big Mike

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I think...(I may be wrong)...that Nikon doesn't actually include that software with their cameras. I believe it's called Nikon Capture. It think it should allow you to see the images right on the computer as well as actually control and fire the camera via the computer.

6. Big Mike

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Nikon Caputre 4

7. rabhobbes

rabhobbes TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Ahhh, thanks!

..."allows images to be downloaded directly to a computer"

They do mean AS the shots are taken, and not as a separate step AFTER the shots are taken in the camera, right?

If so, this is what I'm after. I'm assuming if we do choose another camera, this same type of software is generally available for others, too.

Just trying to pinpoint costs here, as I am putting together the budget for this deal. Thanks again!

8. Big Mike

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I haven't used the different packages...so I can't say for sure...but yes, I'm pretty sure that when you shoot 'tethered'...the image pops up on the computer screen right after it's taken.

I'm fairly certainly that most of the major companies have something similar. My Canon camera came with 'Canon Remote Capture'.

9. Garbz

Garbz No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    For this I think you need Nikon Camera Control, not (and? / or?) Nikon Capture. I may be wrong though. I don't like capture so I have not yet explored its full capabilities. But Camera Control takes care of downloading from the camera as soon as the image is taken.

10. LokiZ

LokiZ TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I can't speak for nikon but when I shoot tethered with my Canon soft the images don't even see my memory card...they go directly to my PC hard drive as soon as the shot is taken. I view them through the bundled software but any software that allows raw to be viewed can be used.

I have not tested the soft/usb to see how it fairs against the on camera storage as far as burst shots go. You might test it if you will need those kind of shots.

11. Big Mike

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I was under the impression that Canon cameras would still write to the card...so even though the images are being written on the hard drive...you were still limited by the capacity of the card. I've haven't tried it...so I don't know.

12. Jon, The Elder

Jon, The Elder TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Thats the way I read it too Mike.