Hyperdrives

When looking at gadget like this my first thought is "Oh no, that's yet another gadget to carry and worry about".

CanadianMe, I am like you, I always carry a laptop. With me this has nothing to do with me taking pictures, I have to have one for other purposes. :) I rarely take one to my photoshoots, but I will most certainly carry one in my luggage when I am traveling. I personally would go for something almost too pedestrian to mention in a respectable photo forum like this:

An iPod!

That's right, an iPod is all you need! Preferrably a 6th generation Classic one with a 160GB harddrive. It is almost the same price as a dependable photo-storage device, has pretty much the same type of harddrive as any photo-storage device out there, and is more functional. I bet you already carry an iPod or some type of an mp3 player with you everywhere you go.

The thing with the iPod is that if you attach it to your camera (via a special cable), it will download all your pictures from it and you don't need a computer to do it. It won't do it fast, as it is limited by your camera, but it will do it. When you are not downloading pictures, you can keep listening to music and you don't have to carry a separate gadget just for your pictures. When you are anywhere within an arm's length to your laptop, just hook it up and download your pictures from it. Piece of cake.

That's my contribution.

Does it read RAW do you know? Just looked it up does not read RAW so it is not an option, not a Bad idea though if it had been able to read RAW. I also not sure how I feel about the Hard Drives they use, would have to do much more reading on the longevity and durability of them. I will scour the net and see if their is an add on for the ipod to read RAW files. Still a thought, but will look into it as an option further thanks.What I am looking for all the alternatives.

CanadianMe,

I don't know but I would very much like to know. I would like to try it. I've been looking for that "magical" cable to connect an iPod to a camera for a while now, but I was unsuccessful. Of course I haven't had the chance to get to most of those stores that I know have it too. I don't expect the cable to be too expensive though.

One problem with the iPod solution... it takes an entire FULL charge (and a good amount of time), of the iPod batteries to copy the files from an 8GB card to my iPod. That is not a very good solution, IMHO.

iPods do NOT read RAW files, at least mine cannot. The connector is available, but rediculously expensive for what it is. $90 for basically a connector alone. :confused:

The Wolverines come in sizes up to 250GB and are still cheaper than an iPod, plus they do work with RAW files and can be bought with extra batteries and even a stand/charger. The stand has inputs for USB-2 and even audio and video inputs... to copy from a TV receiver or similar.

I use a Digimate. Search for it on ebay.
There's heaps and they work great! Mine doesn't have a screen but I've never ever had a problem. I take it everywhere with me and backup everything. I figure harddrives are so cheap these days it doesn't matter.

I use a Digimate. Search for it on ebay.
There's heaps and they work great! Mine doesn't have a screen but I've never ever had a problem. I take it everywhere with me and backup everything. I figure harddrives are so cheap these days it doesn't matter.

Thanks will have a look at them also.

Hey Canadian,

Please keep this thread alive, and let us know your choice and the outcome if you can. I want to know what you choose and (evetually) historically how it works out for you. I bought a new camera, a pair of flashes with infrared remote, a big old buttload of batteries and compact flash cards, and will be buying a wide angle lens and a backup camera soon for a wedding I am shooting in June.

In other words, I am totally broke, and soon to be broke...er.

My trip to shoot this wedding will take me from Charlotte NC to Central Alberta, CA, and I don't want to bring my laptop - just the minimum I need to shoot, and backup is important to me. If you find a good solution, I'd love to hear about it.

Good luck.

I will, I like you just spent a whack of coin on equipment as of late but I am bracketing most of my photos and today I almost ran out of space so will be making a decision in the next two weeks. I will keep you posted when I decide.

do you find it necessary to bracket when shooting RAW?

Yes for now I do, I can get around needing it but looking to learn what works in what conditions. I can fix most when I shoot in RAW but looking to get my photos done as close to right as I can. I can keep shooting over and under exposed but looking to learn the right exposure for the right lighting conditions and bracketing is teaching me a lot. Rather be good at it then lazy and saying it will do just because I am shooting digital, would like to shoot film again down the road as a side interest. Prefer to be good as I can with anything I learn, not one to accept well I can fix it so its good enough. just a quirk, like being the best I can with anything I do. Not the best for others just for myself.

Well just for those who wanted to know, this was what I have decided on, was the best price and good quality and decent reviews. More than enough space for what I want, great price and can always update the HD in it when it gets full. http://www.vistek.ca/store/FramesPhotoDisplays/235314/digital-foci-photo-safe-80gb-graphite.aspx

For the LCD screen on the Hperdrive it is the same as what is on the Camera so was never a big deal for me, and I will pick up a good portable DVD player, more than likely the 7" Toshiba which is on sale (9" if I can get one on sale, any major brand). All I need to have with me to review photos at shoot if needed, light weight and serves more than one purpose. Be buying this stuff Monday, got my new Epson 1800 printer today, have another 3 prints sold, so all set now.

Stuff is starting to pay for itself without any effort on my part thus far. Finding out taking photos is almost like riding a bike, took me no time to get my aperture, shutter speed and ISO settings where I want them in a variety of conditions, not so different from my SLR film days, camera took some getting used to, the knowledge came back after a brief refresher.

Most reactions

Back