I am a beginner and I need HELP!!

Posted in the wrong thread.

Last edited:
It's all about the money. You pour in some money and time, then sprinkle some intelligence into the bowl, stir until consistent. Bake to solidify, and wallah; photographer.

The quality of said photographer really is based on the quality of the ingredients.

So that being said, easiest part is getting the gear right?
I tell you what, you're never dissatisfied with the best.
So look at the prices on Google, then decide how much you want to spend towards one of these:
D3x
D700
D300s
D90

Now you need a portrait lens, grab a cheap one of these
Nikkor 50mm f/1.8

Then one of these:
AF NIKKOR 85mm f/1.8D from Nikon
It will work good for indoor poor lighting, outdoor portraits, even your kids dancing on a stage in a play.

Now you have your camera and lens, but need light. Until you have used a quality flash, you don't know what you are missing.

Pick one of these up at a minimum, in order of presedence, based on your budget:
Nikon Sb-900
Nikon Sb-600

So you've got camera, lenses, flash, and now you need accessories.

LumiQuest Soft Box III for your flash
LumiQuest® Photographic Accessories | Softbox III

Savage seamless white paper roll and background support system for cheap
Savage | Background Port-A-Stand, Travel Case, Paper | 6203750

Then this book
Understanding exposure: how to shoot great photographs with a film or digital camera [Book]

Then maybe some time on here and a local college course or two!

That should get you started.

;)

Dom, you said it was easy getting the right gear, then listed Nikkon stuff. :confused:

I would say to go get the book " Understanding Exposure". I took photography in college, albeit it was on a film camera and 10 yrs ago but that book dumbed it down for me to actually "get". Plus hours and hours and hours of shooting, critiquing, re-shooting, and more critiquing, trying to understand where I had gone wrong.

I agree with the other posts about going to hold some cameras in your hands. I am a fan of Nikon, my good friend is a fan of Canon-it is all personal preference. As far as lenses (and keep in mind I am no professional, just a hobbyist), I have the "kit" 18-55, the 70-3090, and a 50mm. I am currently looking into a lense that kinda does all of it. Something like a 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6G .

There was a guy next to me at the Gorilla exhibit shooting with a Canon, I could tell this without even looking over at him. How you ask? Well the Gorillas would look away when ever he started shooting, and when I raised the Nikon they looked over and smiled.

I guess they're picky about photo quality :Joker:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back