The_Traveler

Completely Counter-dependent
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Website
www.lewlortonphoto.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
and have bought a copy of his book on Paris, 'French Kiss', which is exquisite. Well printed and in a lovely slipcase; the kind of book one keeps forever.

I just received an email that he is selling signed collector prints. They are printed by one of the greatest black and white master printers in the history of photography, Voja Mitrovic who printed for Henri Cartier-Bresson for more than 35 years.

If you care to treat yourself have a look. Prints — Peter Turnley

I enjoy his work as well. TOP features his photography often.

The French Kiss collection looks like it could have been shot by Cartier-Bresson (intentional on Turnley's part I suspect).

I've never heard of him, I will have to go peruse his work!

Interesting.

I think Turnley is pretty great too.

I'm fascinated that someone would think his photo's look like HCB's because to me they're chalk and cheese. Both good stuff, but quite different.

I wonder how much B&W film and trips to Paris HCB inspired.

Huge amounts. Probably inspired both Turnleys. I don't know off hand if either has any association with Magnum but they're definitely in the Magnum inspired school. They're as Magnum as anyone ever was, in a sense.

There's definitely a cultural thing, though. In the bread baking community every jerk gets a backpack and trundles across Europe hanging out with bakers and learning the olde wayes. Then they return and open a bakery with a bunch of hype suggesting that they have learned the secrets of the masters.

Just like everyone else.

The main difference is that any idiot can learn to make a decent loaf of bread. So it's lame, but the product is often pretty OK.

In the bread baking community every jerk gets a backpack and trundles across Europe hanging out with bakers and learning the olde wayes. Then they return and open a bakery with a bunch of hype suggesting that they have learned the secrets of the masters.

That would make for a very boring movie.

Based on what he charges for a print, I think Turnley is Turnley's biggest fan.

Not sure what your point is JT.

Those are remarkably low prices for prints, and Turnley is a major contemporary photographer with lots of fans.

Reminded me of Cartier-Bresson

I'm now crowdfunding a trip to Paris if anyone is interested. In return, you will get a postcard of me doing romantic French things. ;)

Nice collection of photos. I feel like I've seen several before somewhere...Probably on a photography article online. Great stuff.

think of it this way. If they were paintings they would be 10 times that price.

But they're not. I've worked my way into the local "art" scene with my photography over the last several years and have learned quite a bit. Much of it is fluff and BS. I've seen a number of "artists" who work in various mediums who have marketed themselves into greatness. In reality, this guy is a good photographer, but I have seen work on this site that is just as good.

But they're not. I've worked my way into the local "art" scene with my photography over the last several years and have learned quite a bit. Much of it is fluff and BS. I've seen a number of "artists" who work in various mediums who have marketed themselves into greatness. In reality, this guy is a good photographer, but I have seen work on this site that is just as good.

The art world does not operate on the quality of the work as much as the worth of the name attached to it. How that name becomes that valuable depends on several variables. Just look at William Eggleston whose photos of seemingly mundane things have fetched prices of up to $5.9 million.

Don't try to apply grounded, average-human logic to the art market. At the top tier level, $5.9 million to an art collector is probably like $100 to the average person.

And you bet your ass I would be marking up the price my mediocre photos by 1000% if I could get away with it.

Most reactions

Back