"I AM GENERATION IMAGE"

Thom Hogan is a dipshit. I cannot imagine why you keep citing him.

He's seriously irritated that Nikon is using VIDEO to sell a STILL camera? Yes, yes they are. Also, they are using WORDS. And they sell the STILL CAMERAS for a substance I call MONEY. I don't think Thom is actually that big of an idiot, he's just scrambling for anything to say that sounds vaguely sensible and slams Nikon. And he's almost making it.
video might be a better reason to buy a dslr for most people than photos, seriously. The tablet and phone video still kind of sucks. Sure, they can get by with the phone or tablet photos in most instances. But the video doesn't seem that great on them still, least from what I have seen. And people LOVE video. i know i love video. Youtube is full of video lovers. One of the reason I have cameras is just for the video. It wasn't just photos the photos, that is only a piece of it, holidays I am punching up vid to get the kids not just taking photos. I had to use my cellphone for video a while back and it reminded me how much cellphone video sucks. It works in a pinch but...
look. your buddy skateboarding, kids fourth birthday, trip to amusement park, kids piano recital, beauty pagent whatever.. People aren't just taking photos. Most people are doing video. video was the evolution of photography. The reason we are so into depth in photos is to make them look "real". The reason video was a step up from photos is it was more "real". Watching that period of time, again. And not just a split second of it but as long as you want record of it. I feakn love video!

Maybe they should sell on that "if your cellphone takes crappy video and you are sick of it buy this Nikon, and by the way it takes pretty good photos too" . Or maybe not as people might start looking more at canon video..
video is mandatory for me and half the reason I have cameras.

I understand that profit is the bottom line for Nikon. But in reality, 99% of picture snappers can do what they need to do with an iphone. And 99% of people who buy DSLRs, especially entry level ones, never even begin to use them to their full potential.

Any day now:

nikon_phone_zps18ec0d1c.jpg

I hope I hope I hope.

I understand that profit is the bottom line for Nikon. But in reality, 99% of picture snappers can do what they need to do with an iphone. And 99% of people who buy DSLRs, especially entry level ones, never even begin to use them to their full potential.

Yes, and I'd does not deter them from permanently upgrading.

The best marketing for photography I've seen

Canon's 1970's and 1980's TV commercials were extraordinarily successful for them. Canon was pretty much the only camera maker, except for Polaroid, to do nation-wide TV advertising in the USA, and all through Europe,during the era when the 35mm SLR craze developed as a popular culture phenomenon.

"Canon: so advanced it's simple!" That tag line still floats around in my brain. As does the sound of a Canon 35mm SLR with an accessory auto-winder mounted. Click-whirrr-ckick-whirrr-click-whirrr!

The parallel is that CANON convinced millions upon millions of people who were using lowly 110- and 126 cartridge-loading cameras to buy a brand-new Canon 35mm SLR outfit! Canon shifted the "camera paradigm" away from cheap and low-capability, toward the idea of buying an advanced-capability camera.

Canon's 1970's and 1980's TV commercials were extraordinarily successful for them. Canon was pretty much the only camera maker, except for Polaroid, to do nation-wide TV advertising in the USA, and all through Europe,during the era when the 35mm SLR craze developed as a popular culture phenomenon.

"Canon: so advanced it's simple!" That tag line still floats around in my brain. As does the sound of a Canon 35mm SLR with an accessory auto-winder mounted. Click-whirrr-ckick-whirrr-click-whirrr!
before my time. I just remember the manual film advance. Take photo, advance, take photo, advance. take photo advance...

The parallel is that CANON convinced millions upon millions of people who were using lowly 110- and 126 cartridge-loading cameras to buy a brand-new Canon 35mm SLR outfit! Canon shifted the "camera paradigm" away from cheap and low-capability, toward the idea of buying an advanced-capability camera.

That informed marketing helped make the Canon AE-1 an all-time best-selling SLR. But that was then...

Yes yes, Thom (you are Thom, surely? I cannot imagine why you'd keep citing Thom's ridiculous remarks unless you're just trying to pump up your own traffic.) We know you think Nikon can do no right and they should hire you to run their marketing dept.

Can we move on now?

Yes I remember the AE-1 commercials, I thought they were great. Does anybody remember some of the old black and white Honeywell Pentax commercials from the 60's?

Yes I remember the AE-1 commercials, I thought they were great. Does anybody remember some of the old black and white Honeywell Pentax commercials from the 60's?
wasn't born yet.

This just in today....AB InBev, parent company that makes the famous American beer Budweiser, has announced it is ditching its famous Clydesdale horse advertising, and is seeking to get new customers by appealing to the 21- to 27 year-old drinker segment with ads featuring younger, more contemporary advertising appeals than a bunch of big, hairy-footed draft horses pulling a red 1870's-era beer wagon loaded with wooden cases of bottled beer.

" Some 44% of 21- to 27-year-old drinkers today have never tried Budweiser, according to the brand’s parent company, Anheuser-Busch InBev NV."

http://online.wsj.com/articles/budweiser-ditches-the-clydesdales-for-jay-z-1416784086

Apparently, the company's party with Jay-Z and zombies will be the new focus of ads trying to appeal to this segment. Just like Nikon, the Budweiser folks realize the need to attract young, new customers to the brand, by luring them away from those nasty craft beers.....ermmm....I mean from those nasty smart phones and tablets.......errr...you know...

I love the clydesdales! Of course, I'm ancient, and I don't drink Budweiser. So there's that.

as soon as a Nikon d3400 is able to post Directly to FB on the camera, then I'll buy one too
until then, I use my iPhone for that.

and save the Nikon for bigger and better things.

photoguy99 said:
I love the clydesdales! Of course, I'm ancient, and I don't drink Budweiser. So there's that.

Sales of Budweiser in millions of gallons are now just below those of craft beers. Budweiser used to have HUGE sales, but Bud Light took over in 2001, and Coors Light became #2 a few years later, but the current issue is that craft beer sales have lead directly to a HUGE loss of market for the makers of Budweiser, and to reverse their decline in the market, they are going to focus a lot of attention on that 21-27 year-old market, as a long-term way to prevent themselves from becoming irrelevant. I look at the macro-brew beer industry almost like the camera industry; OLD brands with simply huge market share, spanning over one hundred years' time in the case of Budweiser, being reduced from market leader, to a fractional share, in basically, 20 years' time, by an entirely new bunch of small-time brewers. They OWNED that market, based on multiple regional Budweiser breweries and distribution points across the USA, but they LOST it to "a new kind of the same product".

And YES, as astroNikon mentioned: direct uploading from a d-slr to say, Facebook, would be a major advantage for many people. The current WiFi to smart phone, then smart phone to Facebook method is still very kludgy. I think "generation image" would really like wireless integration to social media--a LOT!

Most reactions

Back