I am in a Pickle!

Bram

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Bergen op Zoom, Noord Brabant, Netherlands
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
alllrightttttttt looking to buy a flash for basic photo taking, the whole 15ft range on my nikon D40 isnt doing it for me not the right lighting just ruins the picture, i saw the SB600 and SB900 nowwww the 900 is $200.00 more now my question is: Is it really worth the extra $200.00 and buy the SB900 since i consider myself a more then beginner not quite intermediate photographer i get out there as often as i can. now what ill be doing is attempting macro photography and night photography mostly i also wanna try and get into close-up B&W portraits
any input is greatly appreciated

well the sb900 is a much better flash and it also has the master setting since your d40 doesn't have a master function for off-camera flashes. but if you only plan on doing simple stuff and not buying another flash, then you might want to consider just getting the 600. I own it right now and it is a really good flash for the price. you might also want to look into getting a used sb800. it also has a master function

Nikon screwed the pooche by discontinuing the SB-800 only to replace it with a bohemeth...... but I've never used the 900. When the news broke about the 800, I went and bought another two used off Adorama. The SB-600 is quite capable IMO especially for macro. If you can get it off camera, even better, but you'll need a trigger and a shoe adapter since the 600 doesn't have a PC port. I have Cybersyncs by Paul C Buff and they have not let me down yet.

Last edited:
thanks for the input guys, i might go to school for some photography courses and hopefully one day yeah i want to be doing for this for a living but i mean theres a ton of people that do and havemuch better gear then my dinkie little D40.... x, so right now im looking to accesorize a little and the go for a better body.

seriously ? are you joking me ? im sory im not going to sit here and put in every single period or punctuation mark, sorry dont have the patients, other people who actually have input can read my stuff so thats all that matters. Thank you for the update.

ANYWHOOOOO!!!

alright so i bought the SB-600 yesterday! still fooling around with it, tried a little bouncing of the light kinda worked kinda didnt still trying to figure it out, any input or C&C is greatly appreciated, also if anybody has any suggestions on things to try out please let me know :D

Last edited:
Dear goodness, son. Use some punctuation! It's very difficult to read your posts...

seriously ? are you joking me ?

No, he's not... Most of the time if I see a post with run-on sentences, no caps, and no punctuation, I just close it and move on to the next one.

And, to your OP, most likely the SB-600 will be plenty for your needs.

Well my mistake then, I just needed an opinion from somebody. I really didn't know punctuation really meant that much to some people. Thank you for your input, and yeah i took some practise shots last night at my younger brothers going away party. Hopefully they turned out alright, some looked okay on the LCD but i hope they look good on the computer too.

seriously ? are you joking me ? im sory im not going to sit here and put in every single period or punctuation mark, sorry dont have the patients,
Then you'll be pretty much screwed at being a photographer, because the level of attention to details required to do photography well, far surpasses the level of attention to details required to type posts on a forum. ;)

Notice the vast majority of the other people posting here do "sit here and put in every single period or punctuation mark."

seriously ? are you joking me ? im sory im not going to sit here and put in every single period or punctuation mark, sorry dont have the patients,
Then you'll be pretty much screwed at being a photographer, because the level of attention to details required to do photography well, far surpasses the level of attention to details required to type posts on a forum. ;)

Notice the vast majority of the other people posting here do "sit here and put in every single period or punctuation mark."

And most are capable of differentiating between patience and patients. (not to nit pick, but since I assume you are, in fact, not a doctor, it would follow that you do not indeed have any patients)

because the level of attention to details required to do photography well, "

No sir I am in fact not a doctor, but I am a landed immigrant and English was never my strongest subject. Appearantly assuming that I can let my punctuation slide for once was so wrong of me. As a matter of fact I do have an eye for detail so to me that comment was unneccesary. Just my opinion

One of the other aspects, that is taught in art classes quite effectively, though at times brutally, (I've seen fellow students literally break down into tears, both male and female) is the ability to accept criticism in a constructive manner, and to take from that criticism the "nuggets" of pertinent information.

Oh yes, I don't mean to act childish but I mean, I was just unaware of the punctuation issue here, after all I am new to the TPF, and in the near future here I will be posting some photos and I will be more then happy to take any C&C from anybody, after all I am also still learning

Well, I guess now you know.

The thing that I don't get is why people complain about all of the extra time it takes to use punctuation. If you're using a keyboard it should not take you more than maybe an extra half a second to hit the shift key, period, comma, etc.

Oh yes, I don't mean to act childish but I mean, I was just unaware of the punctuation issue here, after all I am new to the TPF, and in the near future here I will be posting some photos and I will be more then happy to take any C&C from anybody, after all I am also still learning

You forgot the period at the end of your last sentence.... but you're almost there. ;) :lol:

Don't take the issue too seriously. A lot of us folks around here are a little more old-school, or just old, and reading does flow a lot better when written properly. Another big peave is when people write in all "text-speak".....

Most reactions

New Topics

Back