i am lost for certin .....

wgp1987

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hello to all ... I am stuck in one of my many curious thoughts and find myself to be lost.

As some may know I won a canon 5d mkII in august of this past summer. This camera is an amazing piece of equipment there is no questioning that but I recently have been thinking it may be too much for someone with my experiance. I never want to bring it to public places and find it too large for everyday snapshots I use to take with my 30d. I wouldn't say I'm a noob to photography but I don't find a need for a full frame slr with video. I am sure with the right glass a more inexpensive camera cannot compare but I feel as if the smaller more comfy 30d that I loved was neglected and I regret selling it (I was broke and had to pay rent somehow). I am not a pro but plan on being a freelance photographer then eventually focusing on sports photography. I feel that I can't afford to invest in the equipment I would want with the 5d. God forbid if I were to damage the unit or need a repair I couldn't afford that either.

My main dilema is this voice in the back of my head saying to sell it and pick up an xsi with 2 or 3 L lenses and use the rest of the cash to pay debts. Am I stupid or crazy for feeling this way?

I wouldn't sell that camera body and go back to an entry level. Smaller and lighter yes, but I think you would miss some of the better features that the 5DM2 offers you. Maybe consider a used 40D or a 50D - a 7D would be more ideal and current for your intended subject areas.

You might also benefit from looking at and getting a second body - maybe get that rebel with some saved money for when you want a smaller lighter camera, but hang onto the 5DM2 for when you need its specific features (like low light and high ISO for which you will not get better for the money)

I wouldn't sell it, it's not much bigger than a 30D you should try carrying 2 1d'S 300mmF2.8L and 70-200. Personally i can't understand why you don't want to take it to public places, you don't have to use the video, i wouldn't also glass to shoot sport is going to cost you a lot more than a few lenses for the 5D

Don't dumb down your gear, smarten up your skills.

Man, SO MUCH gear is sold in this world that is aspirational. You think half the people you see out on the weekends know how to *really* ride a motorcycle like that? Or need a carbon-frame bicycle? The whole hardware industry (I mean real hardware, tools in the shed, all of that) is built around people buying crap that FAR exceeds what they need. Most guys will NEVER need a chainsaw with THAT much horsepower. They will NEVER get the chance to use it to its fullest.

A camera, however, can be leveraged up. You can learn to use it. So honor the camera, and become better.

Oh, and it is all a question of the beholder. To YOU it might seem like some extreme piece of gear. But I've learned that virtually no one uses all the functions. None of the fashion photographers use exposure bracketing. There are features that are relevant to landscape photographers, fashion shooters, or sports journalists that the others never need. One of the fashion shooters I was with just uses the Hasselblad system, or the 1Ds when on location. She owns her gear. She just picked up a couple 5D Mk IIs for her and her boyfriend to play with while on holiday.

Ugh .... I'm trying to fix my financial problems and obtain more gear ... I know how to use the 5d and its extra functionality is nice but not needed .... not yet. I dunno what to do.

I'm trying to fix my financial problems and obtain more gear ...
I'm not sure those two goals are congruent. :lol:

In all honesty, I'd say financial problems and paying off debt should be much greater priority than having a fancy camera. If you can get by, be satisfied and happy with a slightly lower-end camera, that's probably the better choice for you. $.02.

I'm trying to fix my financial problems and obtain more gear ...
I'm not sure those two goals are congruent. :lol:

In all honesty, I'd say financial problems and paying off debt should be much greater priority than having a fancy camera. If you can get by, be satisfied and happy with a slightly lower-end camera, that's probably the better choice for you. $.02.

That's kinda what I was thinking. Sell camera, pay off debt, buy a canon xsi, 17-40 f4L and 70-200 f4L and call it a day. Lol ..... would u trade a 5d kit for that?

Most reactions

New Topics

Back