I am not satisfied and i want to upgrade my equipment

zepedrao

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I dont know what i should do, i have a canon 1000d that was my fathers and im looking to start in photography, i have a 55-200 ultrasonic lens, the 70-300 that came in with the camera and i have a 18-55 that sometimes work, sometimes it doesnt, its really weird, but that doesnt matter, im not satisfied with the equipment i have and i do not have much money, keeping in mind that i mostly want to photograph my friends and my hobbies, that are affiliated with sports, any suggestions?

"not much money" could mean different things to different people.
do you have at least a rough estimate of a dollar amount you can spend?
that will be the easiest way for people to start making relevant suggestions.
also, do you want to stay with canon since you have a few lenses already or would you consider switching brands?

First of all, i am unemployed student and i really dont have that much money, believe me, and i dont think i consider changing brands as i am a fan of canon, and it wouldnt make sense afterall to switch

First of all, i am unemployed student and i really dont have that much money, believe me, and i dont think i consider changing brands as i am a fan of canon, and it wouldnt make sense afterall to switch

well, the decision to stick with canon is an important one. it narrows the field down quite a bit.
still, budget is probably the biggest hurdle in deciding what camera to purchase, second biggest being what you want/need the camera to do.
the problem with not stating a budget is that people will have to equate "not much money" with what they consider "not much money" to be, and you would end up having to filter through the suggestions that are out of your price range.
its going to be really really difficult to be of much help without at least a budget range to work with.

i would check ebay under canon DSLR body and start there. find some cameras within your budget and then research the cameras a bit to make sure you are getting what you need and not getting overcharged for it. you can always post here on the forum with specific camera questions if your not familiar with the models. i would suspect that you will need at least a few hundred dollars to get you back in the game with something reasonably modern.

as an afterthought, why are you dissatisfied with your current equipment, possibly broken lens aside?
is the camera not working properly? are you trying to photograph something that is giving your current gear trouble?
are you simply concerned with the age of the camera?
I have a 10 year old sony DSLR with 30 year old minolta lenses that take perfectly good pictures if im not trying to shoot fast moving sports or something like that.

I'd start by trying to isolate whether it's your 18-55 or your camera body that is intermittently malfunctioning. A good start would be to replace the one that is failing.

well, the decision to stick with canon is an important one. it narrows the field down quite a bit.
still, budget is probably the biggest hurdle in deciding what camera to purchase, second biggest being what you want/need the camera to do.
the problem with not stating a budget is that people will have to equate "not much money" with what they consider "not much money" to be, and you would end up having to filter through the suggestions that are out of your price range.
its going to be really really difficult to be of much help without at least a budget range to work with.

i would check ebay under canon DSLR body and start there. find some cameras within your budget and then research the cameras a bit to make sure you are getting what you need and not getting overcharged for it. you can always post here on the forum with specific camera questions if your not familiar with the models. i would suspect that you will need at least a few hundred dollars to get you back in the game with something reasonably modern.

as an afterthought, why are you dissatisfied with your current equipment, possibly broken lens aside?
is the camera not working properly? are you trying to photograph something that is giving your current gear trouble?
are you simply concerned with the age of the camera?
I have a 10 year old sony DSLR with 30 year old minolta lenses that take perfectly good pictures if im not trying to shoot fast moving sports or something like that.
The problem is i want to shoot inside sports, maybe i wont be able to, but lets put that aside, i think you are right, the camera is completely fine for me to start with, i dont think i need anything new, thank you

I'd start by trying to isolate whether it's your 18-55 or your camera body that is intermittently malfunctioning. A good start would be to replace the one that is failing.
I think its the lens, as the body functions with the other lenses, i think the idea of buying another 18-55 would not be bad

If the camera and lenses are in good repair that camera and those lenses are very capable of making very good images.

What aren't you satisfied with in terms of the camera/equipment? Is the quality not good enough, focus too slow etc.

What aren't you satisfied with in terms of the camera/equipment? Is the quality not good enough, focus too slow etc.

Yup unless you can clearly explain what about that equipment is not meeting your needs then you don’t really need anything new.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Its probably like 100-200€ because i live in europe

Sorry to tell this to you but I don’t think that’s going to get you anything much better then what you already have.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You know enough about cameras as you use one for a while. Research and see which camera is best for you regardless of price. Don't buy it though and in fact don't buy anything and keep using the same camera for at least a year. After a year reevaluate your choice and see if you change your mind then.

For that kind of money, I would suggest getting the new 50mm f/1.8 stm and using it with the current body. If you are wanting to shoot indoor sports, you are going to need fast glass (f/2.8 or lower). That 50 is an upgrade and will produce good images with your current camera.

Most reactions

Back