I am really sick of soft images

Learning how to use manual mode and the reason that all the settings effect each other and how they effect each other will be the most valuable thing you can do at this point.

On top of shutter speed, do you think focusing maybe also an issue. I do not know too much about that particular Nikon lens.

However, slow focusing on my EF 50mmf/1.8 often create a problem when I tried to take pictures of my daughter running around (with AI Servo AF). Next lens I may need to consider getting a USM or HSM.

So I think shutter speed (with smaller aperture - less shadow DOF) and fast focus may play a key role in sharper image on a fast moving subject.

As for the settings and etc. You're going to laugh. Really hard. I just put the D40 on automatic, with the flash disabled, and shoot. Yes I do KNOW this is a major part of the problem - my lack of understanding of aperture, etc.- and THAT is why I wrote this post. Your suggestions about camera settings to try are most helpful.

The album "Harper" especially had some shots that did not satisfy me in terms of sharpness - in this case due to a very cloudy day.

Your problem was not due to a cloudy day. I love shooting on cloudy days.

I hate to say it but this is your main problem:

my lack of understanding of aperture, etc. You need to spend some time to really learn what choosing the correct aperture for any given shot will do for your photos. Same holds true for shutter speed and ISO settings.

On the plus side, your photos aren't really all that bad but there is a lot you still to learn about professional photography before you should be taking people's money.

On the plus side, your photos aren't really all that bad but there is a lot you still to learn about professional photography before you should be taking people's money.

I could not agree more. That is what I am trying to do via this forum and through a photography class this fall. Everyone's input is extremely helpful.

Ok... shutterfly was a really poor choice of places for us to see pictures at sizes anything larger than a thumbnail.

Please post a colour picture of any subject that you want that displays what you call a soft image. Make it at between 500-600 pixels on the long side and post it here, please.

Having learned that the knowledge level of our OP is basically at the beginner stage, I would first suggest that they learn the BASICS of photography (ISO, aperture, shutter and how to properly expose), and then learn the basics of post processing their pictures.

I see no issues with equipment or settings. Right now, everything we see points to the issue being 10 inches behind the lens. ;) :)

Ok... shutterfly was a really poor choice of places for us to see pictures at sizes anything larger than a thumbnail.

Please post a colour picture of any subject that you want that displays what you call a soft image. Make it at between 500-600 pixels on the long side and post it here, please.

Having learned that the knowledge level of our OP is basically at the beginner stage, I would first suggest that they learn the BASICS of photography (ISO, aperture, shutter and how to properly expose), and then learn the basics of post processing their pictures.

I see no issues with equipment or settings. Right now, everything we see points to the issue being 10 inches behind the lens. ;) :)

Bingo.

As for the settings and etc. You're going to laugh. Really hard. I just put the D40 on automatic, with the flash disabled, and shoot.

If that's the case, upgrading to a D700, 300, 3, 90 or any other camera is not going help the problems you're experiencing. You really need to learn how to use the camera, how aperture, shutter speed and ISO all relate to each other and the image you're trying to capture.

Reading on this forum, online tutorials, etc would be good. I would also recommend getting a couple books on photography basics. You really need a firm grasp on the fundamentals, it will help you deal with different situations that arise while shooting.

I can't remember the books I have right now (at work, can't check) but I'll post back the names of a couple I found REALLY helped.

Start off with:

1 - Your camera manual (available on the Nikon site in PDF in case you lost yours)

2 - Understanding Exposure by Bryon Peterson

Thats enough to keep most people occupied for about a 2-4 week period. ;)

Well we got through a whole thread and not one person plugged it! I am amazed!;) --- great and then Jerry posts before me!

Well first off if you are out to learn about apertures and shutter speeds and so forth then I (and many others) urge you to get hold and read a copy of Understanding Exposure by Bryan Peterson. That will teach you how the settings relate to each other and also how to use them to not only get good exposures but also to be creative.

Second thing I will say is read your camera manual and start playing in aperture priority mode - full manual can be confusing when starting out (especially when teaching yourself) so use aperture priority mode where you set your aperture and ISO and let your camera choose the shutter speed. This is a popular mode with many people since aperture lets you define your depth of field (area of photo in focus) whilst also adapting to changes in lighting (the camera picking your shutter speed)

After that I recommend taking a look at this website:
http://www.ronbigelow.com/articles/articles.htm
there is a host of articles there which can help you in editing and also in taking photographs - looks a little much, but the articles are easy to understand

And then == take lots and lots of photos! but don't just shoot and forget - start making a blog or post on forums with your best and write down when posting the aperture, shutter speed and ISO of your shots ( as well as how you held the camera - handheld or tripod - and also if you used flash). This helps 2 ways:
1) it lets people know how you are thinking and how you are shooting and lets them give you more constructive advice

2) it makes you look at the settings and what they did in different situations = so you help yourself as well.

Good luck!

Great minds think alike... and fools have similar thoughts. :lol:

Sounds like I have posted this in the wrong forum. Thanks everyone for the input; I'll move over to the beginners side...

don't worry yourself over it - the distinction between the two sections is very hazy most times -- just so long as we could help that is the main thing :)

Though the end result points it towards the beginners side, the process to determine that obviously took us a little longer to discern.

I'd not worry about it in this case. But the next person that posts pics and asks for a CC or asks what camera is the best or what flash they need or what is the best lens for their needs in this section... will be made to do 100 push-ups... lol

Most reactions

New Topics

Back