I am **********

Discussion in 'Photography Equipment & Products' started by WolfSpring, Oct 19, 2007.

1. WolfSpring

WolfSpring TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    SO I bought the D80 today with the Nikor 18-135 lens. When asked if I needed insurance, and noticing that the lowest price insurance was 400 bucks for 2 years, and realizing I didn't have the 400 on me and I was already running a little behind I said no, I have 10 days to get the insurance. So I take my camera to work and was going to take some pictures of soldiers in training attacking our mock FOB(forward operating base). But one of the OPFOR(Opposing Forces) M249 SAW got jammed up before we rolled out. I helped take it appart and fix it, noticing my hands were all greasy and in the middle of the woods I decided the camera was a no go, I put the back back on my back, forgetting to fully zip my zipper. As we assaulted I grabbed a "dead" soldiers weapon and jumped into the attack, as I jumped over a barracade I heard a thump behind me. OMFG Time out soldiers, yeah I was kinda pissed. It looks as thought there is some serious lens damage, but not much body damage to the camera. The wife is bringing in anohter lens to test the body, but the lens is not autofocusing or properly zooming in and out. Do I go in and explain myself, or do I go ahead and get the insurance, wait a week or two and give them the lens. I should be upset, but if it's just the lens, online it's 44 bucks for 1 year of insurance, and the package is 250 for one year, I bought the items seperate at the stores websites, packaged price and got some add on deals because they did not have all of what the site said was in the package.

LESSON LEARNED, HAVING FUN AND HAVING EXPENSIVE TOYS DON'T WORK WHEN YOU HAVE ADHD AND ARE IN THE ARMY!!!

2. Hill202

Hill202 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Get the insurance and wait a week, your accident happened while serving the country, you deserve the break!

On top of that you're a Drill Sargent also, training soldiers... hell if I could I'd replace your camera.

Thanks for your service Drill Sargent!

3. Chas

Chas TPF Noob!

... and all you ever seem to hear these days is people trashing insurance companies.

What a laugh.

4. WolfSpring

WolfSpring TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I appreciate them, I really do. And as far as a Drill SGT technically I don't exist at this level anymore, I am an AIT(Advanced Individual training) Drill SGT or was untill last night. We are a step after basic and training signal soldiers. Now they have taken our hats away from us, told us to do the same job we've done, except gave us some squad leaders who are instuctors at the schoolhouse and call us platoon SGTs now. But I appreciate the thanks and support. Yeah I'm gonna do that, wife brought the other lens, ,camera appears to be working find with it. Couple of dings in the rubber/plastic of the body, but nothing seems broke on it. The lens clearly has a loose piece in it, and when you zoom in it shows a curved corner in the top. THANK GOD it landed on the lens, and this is gods way of saying, insure your toys Dumb A.. Anyway i'm sure this will turn out for the best in the end. My buddy is going hunting monday, I'm gonna tag along and hope to get some good shots.

5. JIP

JIP No longer a newbie, moving up!

Yeah that is the funny thing. In my earlier years of being a Ritz salesman we always tried to sell those policies to people. For me of course it was a source of income for myself and the store but honestly I nrver sold something that I did not think was good (hence my never sellng Canon cameras LOL). People would swear up and down "oh I never buy those things" and say how careful they were with their cameras and invariably a few would drop them as soon as they got home and wish they bought the policy. Sometimes (usually actually) we would sell them the policy like they bought it. But the funny thing is all the animosity there is out there for policies like these some people actually use them. Of course the store makes the most money on them because most people never use them but for th few who do boy do they think it was a godsend. It is really a crapshoot sometimes you win and sometimes you loose hey people still go to Vegas and most of them loose and keep going back so what is the difference.

6. WolfSpring

WolfSpring TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Only problem I have with waranties is sometimes its cheaper to buy a whole new device thent he waranty. Like my PSP why would I spend 90 bucks for a waranty when if I break the PSP I spend 150 for a new one? It's taking a chance, but my PSP is a year old and it's fine. funny you mention ritz, thats where I bought it... I know we don't need to discuss that lol.

7. usayit

usayit No longer a newbie, moving up!

North New Jersey, United States of America
    Photos OK to edit

Dude.. BIG difference from auto or health insurance. Try covering a $1500 per month bill trying to keep mediocre benefits for my family.

8. holga girl

holga girl TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    if you bought your camera at ritz, they will ask to inspect the camera before they sell you the coverage.

9. JIP

JIP No longer a newbie, moving up!

You might be surprised. Depending on the time of year some managers might sell one on a broken camera especially if it is broken within days of the purchase time of the camera.

10. XJBaylor

XJBaylor TPF Noob!

I am surprised so many people here are ready and willing to recommend fraud as a way to recover $300. I have a ton of respect for you as a soldier, but I would have even more if you took this as a lesson learned and purchased a new lens.

Justify all you want, but there is only one way to handle this honestly. Good luck with your decision.

11. ann

ann No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    use your household insurance for equipment. It is a lot cheaper , mine runs 2 dollars per 100 dollars value per year.
    and includes repair or replacement.

12. WolfSpring

WolfSpring TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    They inspected and insured the lens, there isn't much noticable damage, and the manager was cool anyway, told me if I had broke it he'd probably of taken it. We are taking it in on Tues just to maintain good relationship with the store.