I can haz job now???

Well, I decided to modify the plans a little on the tinkertubes.

I built a 5"x5" scrim/reflector that will have a white cloth shower curtain fit to it, and a monopod stand to adjust the angle.

I'm also going to make a scrim out of a rolling clothes rack from Ikea at the suggestion of Darrel. This will have a frosted shower liner fit to it solely for firing the strobes through.

I'm going to need to enlist the help of my wife in sewing the cloth curtain to fit the reflector, but the scrim will have the liner hang from shower rings and stretched taught with small clamps.

I'm really hoping to have a couple test shots with this configuration tomorrow.

I still need to work on my hair light rig. That may wait until next weekend.

The closer the flash is to the scrim, the softer the light is. The farther away you position the monolight from the scrim, the more crisp the light is. You can also use two diffusing fabrics if you wish. Scrim lighting is much more-versatile than any other method. Using a scrim, the size, and the quality of the light, as adjustable. You can easily mask off a scrim, to make a round light, or a strip light, etc.. You can use 1,2, or 3 fabrics on one.

You can also fire a softbox or umbrella box, OR an umbrella through a scrim, or partly through the scrim--and partially over the top, or off past one side of the scrim, so that some of the light hits the background, or another reflector, whatever you want.

Well, I spent quite a bit of time playing with my new toys tonight... and honestly, I'm a bit lost. I watched the videos, I understand the concepts, but in practice it's not as predictable as my existing lighting. I'm sure it's simply a learning curve issue, but if I'm honest it's frustrating. I look forward to learning how to use my new tools!

Don't get too frustrated.
It definitely takes some time to properly light things,and in all honesty,I spend more time blocking and reflecting light than I do just firing away.
Use your imagination.

P.S. I'll always be grateful for Derrel's constant recommendation of the Speedotron Brownline system.
Cheap and extremely powerful if you have the patience to bid right on older equipment.

Don't get too frustrated.
It definitely takes some time to properly light things,and in all honesty,I spend more time blocking and reflecting light than I do just firing away.
Use your imagination.

Oh, I won't get too frustrated. It's just frustrating that the concept makes so much sense to me but the practice of the concept doesn't immediately fall into place. I know, I know, Rome wasn't built in a day yada yada...

Learning photography is hard. Rewarding, fulfilling, but hard.

It pisses me off to see so many people think that once they've purchased a $500 camera they are automagically granted the title of "pro". It also pisses me off that at one point in time I was almost one of those people. I'd like to think I've learned more since then, and that I have a more humble and sound head on my shoulders now... Time will tell.

beachrat said:
>SNIP>I spend more time blocking and reflecting light than I do just firing away.
Use your imagination. P.S. I'll always be grateful for Derrel's constant recommendation of the Speedotron Brownline system. Cheap and extremely powerful if you have the patience to bid right on older equipment.

Not sure exactly where the areas of trouble are for you, Stradawhovious, but as you said, Rome was not built in a day. Predictability is largely built upon familiarity. I am not familiar with exactly what flash gear you have; I would suggest experimenting with how close the flash unit is placed from the diffusing material. Not sure what type of reflector(s) your flash units have.

As beachrat mentioned, blocking and reflecting light is a big part of studio lighting. If you keep working with a few tools, soon there is an "Aha!" moment regarding almost every aspect of using them. TPF's very own kdthomas bought some Speedo Brown Line gear, and in less than a year, has learned a huge amount about how to light for fantastic creative effect. The thing about Brown Line: it is based on using symmetrical power, all lights equal, OR simple asymmetrical power, with simple, fixed ratios of a limited number. This gives fewer variables as "standard" power options, so you can solve common lighting issues with basic, 50-year-old power output ideas.

Nail it brother.
It's just like reading notes on the staff.
Bass or treble.
Practice,practice,practice.

Well, after spending another small fortune ordering trinkets on the intertubes today, I think I finally have enough gear to be dangerous. Bought more stands, more modifiers, some more light, monitor calibration hardware, ANOTHER flash meter (thanks USPS for "misplacing" the first one)...

Now I just need to build my light stand weights and wait for the mail to come in.

I have about 6 dogs lined up to help out with building a portfolio, and have decided on the lab I'm going to use for prints... Walgreens is OK, right?? (I keed I keeeeed). Before my first shutter actuation I will have liability insurance and all the necessary filings and paperwork with the city/county/state. (It's nice having a MIL that specializes in entrepreneurial business finance)

I can haz profeshunal now??

Don't get me wrong. I still don't plan on charging (yet) but even if I'm not charging, and someone gets hurt on my property during a shoot, I want my ass covered as much as possible. If that means shelling out for insurance and getting all the necessary "business" paperwork in order, that's what it means.

Last edited:
Well, brainstorming names today.

Both "Doggy Style Photography Services" and "Red Rocket Dog Photos" were shot down by my wife.

Back to the drawing board.

.. have decided on the lab I'm going to use for prints... Walgreens is OK, right?? (I keed I keeeeed).
If you haven't done this yet, send the same file to all your final choices so you can compare the labs.

When I first read "lab" I thought you were referring to a certain breed of dog.

When I first read "lab" I thought you were referring to a certain breed of dog.

There seems to be a lot of this going around. I told a buddy of mine about a Pet Photography business, and he asked me to shoot his wedding. He thought I was referring to my Photography business as a "Pet Project". :lol:

I've used this lab exclusively for years, and adore the quality of their prints. They are local, been at it for almost 50 years and they are very good at what they do. :)

If I can add something to your idea, don't get too married to the idea of portraits. I can't offer much advice on the technical aspect of photography, but as a dog owner I'd appreciate some professional-quality shots of my family playing with the dog. My advice? Offer to also go somewhere on location and get shots of the family and dog in their natural habitat as well as your studio shots. Think photojournalism applied to a family and their dog. Document that relationship as it existed so the family can look back and say "yeah, that's how I remember [insert dog's name]."

Most reactions

New Topics

Back