I can, like, vote and like stuff, like is cool, like

Geronimo

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Only in Cali, I guess.

A bill designed to get youth more involved in the elections process passed the state Senate Committee on Elections and Reappointment on Wednesday.

SB 1606 by Sen. John Vasconcellos, D-San Jose, would lower the state's legal voting age to 14. The catch is that it would take four 14 or 15 year olds to make up a whole vote.

The proposed constitutional amendment would give 14- and 15-year-olds 1/4 of a full vote, while 16- and 17-year-olds would get 1/2 a full vote.

Vasconcellos dubbed his bill 'Training Wheels for Citizenship,' and says it is designed to encourage early and regular voter participation among young Californians by affording them a real live stake in the political process.

http://www.vacavillenews.com/articles/index.cfm?artOID=182670&cp=116

wow! I just don't know what to think about this one. This gives those people who say "Oh my vote doesn't won't make a difference" a new soap box to stand on. I kinda like it though. Great way to get the kids interested while they're younger. I know I wouldn't care at all about politics if I hadn't been exposed to it while I was in Jr. High.

I was involved in Kid vote in Jr High thru the time I as able to vote. While it is good to get kids involved as soon as possible, but I can just image it right now.

teenie booper #1: Who you, like, going to vote for and stuff.
teenie booper #2:Like, I dont know. Who is the cutest.
teenie booper #3: OMG <insert canidate here> He is like, the bomb.

This is why the founding fathers created the elective college.

They'll vote how their friends tell them to vote, or how their church tells them to vote, or how their parents tell them to vote. A 14 year old is not mature or sophisticated enough in the ways of the world to be able to make a sound judgment call, politically. Hell, I can barely do it myself!

Bad idea. Just my opinion.

Completely agree with what terri said! Crazy idea. There must be better ways to get young people involved. Besides we need to get the 18+ people voting first! If you can get 100% voter turn out of those already eligible, then maybe think about expanding, but with the crap turnout the US tends to show lately, we have more pressing issues than 14-17 year olds.

Most reactions

Back