I can't find my website!

And no, it won't work for him. There are too many other things wrong with his website. You're making a correlation that's spurious. Good performance on search engines happens in addition to or in spite of a DMOZ listing, not because of one.

Hmm.... Just went to dmoz and found I wasn't listed with lycos at all! I listed on Dmoz so that should improve things a bit.

All right then. In one ear and out the other!

You guys carry on with your misinformation conference. Have fun!

1) Don't use frames

2) Why are you redirecting?

3) Meta tags don't do anything for search rankings, especially not if they're on the redirecting page.

I'm redirecting as my webspace is www.sageworld.co.uk and on that site I host www.sagephotoworld.com and www.sageworld.org. The domain names are hosted by 123-reg.co.uk while the webspace is hosted by fvs. I see no point in blowing money on separate webhosting deals. Best advice I ever had was to host the domain and the webspace independently as then I can change the webspace host.

All right then. In one ear and out the other!

You guys carry on with your misinformation conference. Have fun!

oh stop being a troll... instead of saying we are making things wrong, why don' you just help the poor guy.

ANyways I know where you are coming from. If you do hardcore reference for google of course dmoz is not enough and of course you need to do a lot more. But for him right now for someone that has no idea what he is doing this very first step is good.

Now please post of concrete changes he should do

I'm not being a troll.

1) Get rid of the redirect. It's a bad idea unless absolutely necessary.

2) Get rid of the frames. They'll ruin your chances.

3) Continue to add keyword-rich content in natural language to the site.

4) Accumulate relevant links to the site.

Beyond that you can PM me for my consulting rates.

If you're going to redirect, have a single website attached to a domain with the other links permanently redirecting to it. Right now I see three different websites.

If you're going to redirect, have a single website attached to a domain with the other links permanently redirecting to it. Right now I see three different websites.

Sageworld.org (hosted on sageworld.co.uk)
SagePhotoWorld.com (hosted on sageworld.co.uk)

The sageworld.co.uk is just some crap I got stuck with by my webhost. I'm wondering whether I could use a subdomain and just change the DNS entries.

If you want to optimize the rank of your website here are more of my suggestion.

How google works to give youa better rank(not the only way but one of them). Basically google will rank you higher if you have a lot of other websites linking to your page. SO where ever you can post that link POST IT on forum link database etc....

get ride of that redirecting thing. Don't use frames or iframes. And make sure every html page describe your website or the subject of your website.
example for a page on photography 101 you would have your domain name + the page called photograpgy101.html.
so it would look like this: www.domain.com/photography101.html that can also increase your ranking.

if you do both of those your ranking will go up.

Tranceplant: What's wrong with you. You basically just copied what I said.

Except I said relevant links. Not just any links.

Anyway, Rhys, you have to take care of that redirect thing. Have a single site with domains permanently pointing to it, and follow my other advice.

Tranceplant: What's wrong with you. You basically just copied what I said.

Except I said relevant links. Not just any links.

Anyway, Rhys, you have to take care of that redirect thing. Have a single site with domains permanently pointing to it, and follow my other advice.

calm your horses... yes there is some things that are similar but that is what I say too everyone that ask for my advice.... don't be so uptight. I don't know if you will agree with me but the more answers he gets the better it is for him to find the solution to his problem, similar advice or not.

If you want the credit for all of this I have no problem giving it to you.

chill out
A

I don't need credit. I get it automatically for being the only one giving good advice

More information isn't better if it's bad information. For some reason this particular topic always bring out the stubbornness in people. You're not helping by giving advice on things you don't know about. You're hurting, and diluting what good advice I've tried to give with utter nonsense.

I don't need credit. I get it automatically for being the only one giving good advice

More information isn't better if it's bad information. For some reason this particular topic always bring out the stubbornness in people. You're not helping by giving advice on things you don't know about. You're hurting, and diluting what good advice I've tried to give with utter nonsense.

so basically you are telling me I copied you and now you say I am giving bad advice.

:thumbup:

I take exception that my advice was complete "misinformation"

I agree with you that the redirect greatly hurts, but I stick with my comment on using Google webmaster tools, which includes seo forums guidelines and tips, not just "add url"

However, getting your site listed at on the first page of results can be difficult, keeping it there is more difficult. Unless you have loads of traffic.

This is not an over night venture, this could (if your lucky) take a week or it could take moths/years if ever depending on your content.

It your planning on sticking with the redirect, submitting a SiteMap is a MUST!!!

99% of the the time, G will crawl your website even if it isn't registered with them in WMT. But you are right that an XML sitemap can help. The most significant advantage to using WMT isn't that your website will rank better necessarily, but that you can make sure that, in G's eyes, you aren't messing anything up on your site.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back