I Can't Stand Elitism

Discussion in 'Photographic Discussions' started by slickhare, Feb 25, 2006.

1. slickhare

slickhare TPF Noob!

i'm not going to get into the whole story of my experience, but i really don't can't stand elitism in photography. i'm sick of people who brainwash non-photographers into the "better camera = (always) better pictures". sure maybe quality wise. but i'm not afraid to admit that someone out there might have such a great eye and creativity that they could take better pictures with a disposable than i could with my DSLR. it makes me think of photo competions with themes (like the ones here) where given a simple topic, everyone comes up with wonderfully unique ways of expressing it, with all different levels of experience and equipment. i love the freedom of expression in photo, and elitism just really eats away at that.

so any thoughts about it?

2. Aoide

Aoide TPF Noob!

Don't get me started. I searched high and low for a forum that I felt comfortable at and many times I stopped participating in a forum for this very reason.

At one forum a new person introduced themselves and said they had a point and shoot camera (it was a VERY nice point and shoot) and the reply from the board owner? Oh, well soon we'll get you shooting with a real camera. :madass:

I think that if someone has a passion for photography, for capturing images and sharing them, then they should be encouraged and welcomed. It shouldn't matter what equipment you are using, how many lenses you have (or how many of them are "L" glass) or how much experience you have.

:grumpy:

Ok....whew..... ok. I'm ok now. I should never have started typing on this topic. I feel pretty passionate about it. And that's why I love The Photo Forum. Because of the atmosphere. So not to turn this into a love fest, but thanks Chase, Hobbes and the Mod Gang for such a great place. :love:

3. Dweller

Dweller Inconspicuous Supporter

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit

Just wanted to second that.

I was so happy to find this place after spending some time at other photography forums and seeing time and again the kind of attitudes you have described.

4. slickhare

slickhare TPF Noob!

couldnt agree more with you two!

5. Hertz van Rental

Hertz van Rental TPF Noob!

There is nothing wrong with elitism as long as it involves the right people.

6. Torus34

Torus34 No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
    [ROFL] Hertz! Hertz! You're back!

Where you been, Man? Vacation?

We've missed you!

[Signed] Rara Avis

7. LittleMan

LittleMan TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    he is always here... watching.... waiting. :hertz:

8. Aoide

Aoide TPF Noob!

I don't know whether you are serious or not, but I do agree with this statement. There are some things that I develop this attitude about. I think it is called for in some situations, but not a photography forum where people are here to learn.

9. ksmattfish

ksmattfish Now 100% DC - not as cool as I once was, but still

Photos NOT OK to edit
    At the top of the heap of offenders would be Canon and Nikon corporations. They spend more money advertising their mousetraps than building better ones. Without elitism how could they get someone to spend $1500 on a zoom lens, or $3000 on a camera that isn't weather sealed?

10. fightheheathens

fightheheathens TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    my favorite is name elitism.

this picture was taken by Mr. X, therefore it must be awsome
    and i shall smother it with praise.

11. darin3200

darin3200 TPF Noob!

I think you are talking more about commericial elitism, like "I'm a better photographer than you because of my camera" type attitudes. Elitism isn't always bad, for instance Magnum is a very elite group and they have the right to be.

12. Hertz van Rental

Hertz van Rental TPF Noob!

I was half serious, half joking as always - it's my Zen Master routine.
    It is important not to confuse 'elitism' with 'recognising talent and ability'.
    In the former you tend to become a member of the 'elite' through contacts, family, friends, money, et al.
    In the latter you get there because you deserve to be there and are someone to be looked up to. It also means that anyone else with talent and ability can get there too through hard work.