I can't stand Sony cameras, but..

Discussion in 'Photography Equipment & Products' started by Sw1tchFX, Aug 25, 2010.

1. Sw1tchFX

Sw1tchFX TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    ..The A33/55 are pretty darn cool products.

[​IMG]

Sony unveils SLT A55 and A33 with translucent mirror technology: Digital Photography Review

Has anyone here used the Canon or Nikon with the pellicle mirror in it?

I've seen some of the AF tracking video with it, and it's absolutely stunning to see it work. I've never seen AF like that in video.

I can't wait till we see the sony rep at the store, I'm hoping this new SLT is a winner, everyone seems to like them, it's the only Sony product on DPReview that didn't get a sh*t rating.

I just hope that they're built more solid than what they've been doing. If they still have the same weak construction as the other Alpha bodies, that'd be a huge turn-off. I'm also a little concerned about the focus system, I can't stand the minolta focus system and from what i've worked with, the low end sonys with fast lenses have a hard time doing accurate focus.

Exciting to say the least!

2. MrLogic

MrLogic TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    10 fps is nothing to laugh at. And yeah, it seems like Canon and Nikon don't have the balls to release something similar.

Sample images didn't look that great, though.

:thumbup: / :thumbdown:

3. Dominantly

Dominantly TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I don't what it is with Sony, but all of the bodies I have held just feel like a very cheap toy. They are on par with, or inferior to the feel of the P&S's I have owned in the past.

That is something basic they need to work on. Make a camera that feels solid in your hands and not like toy.

4. epp_b

epp_b No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
    10 fps is pretty good and Sony's AF has always been very quick, as far as I know, but...

Uh... yeah, no thanks. What is the point of even having a mirror if you don't need it for a real viewfinder?

5. Idahophoto

Idahophoto TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I don't even use the 6 on my 50D so no way I would buy it for 10. How about Sony learns how to make a decent SLR and add something useful like a DoF preview button and maybe a increase in image quality a better menu system where buttons are not just tossed where ever they thought they would fit. Sony should asked Nikon nicely for help on doing SLR's. Maybe they get lucky and be granted some pointers lol. O h forgot to add here is a free tip for them. Drop the STUPID MEMORY STICK DUO! Nobody uses those crappy things. I would go back to the old Olympus cards first.

6. shaunly

shaunly TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I believe these new Sony SLT are mirrorless, that's why they use electronic viewfinder.

From what dpreview tested, ISO 1600 and up is not that great. That's pretty sad considering 1600/2500 iso these days are very usuable in most DSLR.

7. Josh66

Josh66 Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I was wondering when someone would put a pellicle mirror in a digital body...

I use a Canon 1N RS (35mm), which has a pellicle mirror, it was doing 10 fps 15 years ago...
    Not having to move a mirror helps a lot for frame rate.

8. Fatback

Fatback TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I am interested to see what these new cameras can do. Although I don't know if I like them having an electric view finder. One of the big reason I wanted to upgrade from a P&S, is because I wanted a real viewfinder. Still would like to get a hold of one.

As for Sony cameras, they aren't the greatest, but they aren't terrible. I have an A230, and why it's not the best, it was 30% cheaper then any other new DSLR on the market.

9. NateWagner

NateWagner TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Hmm, if they don't have to move a mirror, that would be awesome for flash sync speed right? I mean for some it would be worth it if we could hit a sync of say 1/2000

10. Josh66

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Sync speed is limited by the shutter, not the mirror. The max sync speed is the fastest speed that both curtains are open at the same time.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2010
  11. NateWagner

NateWagner TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    ahh blast... I knew that wasn't thinking when I posted. Now... I still think it would be nice if they'd go back to a electronic shutter if they have the capability just for the sync speed.

12. Josh66

Photos NOT OK to edit
    A pellicle mirror is still cool though. No viewfinder blackout is cool - and after you're used to it, a regular camera seems a little weird. You can see the flash during exposure, so there's never any question of if it went off or not.

You can see if there's camera shake as you're exposing. You can see if the subject moved.

The 1N RS can't AF during exposure (not sure if that Sony can, doubt it though), but you can manually track a moving subject during exposure.

It also makes panning a hell of a lot easier when you can see the subject during the exposure.

It takes a little getting used to, but once you're used to it, it's pretty cool.

The only bad thing I can see about having a pellicle mirror on a digital body is that it would be impossible to clean the sensor... There would be no way to move the mirror out of the way. I'm not sure how they plan to get around that, and we all know that eventually - that sensor will need cleaning.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2010