I do I deal with this request?

Discussion in 'General Shop Talk' started by Fiendish Astronaut, May 22, 2007.

1. Fiendish Astronaut

Fiendish Astronaut TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    Took some pictures of some Capoeira fighters in London's Regents Park last summer, had them on Flickr and just received this mail from a guy who looks like he created his account just to mail me:

Hi,

just seen your photos of capoeira in Regents park last year. I'm the guy in the blue trousers. i find it difficult to get good photos of capoeira and tend to have loads of pictures of people just finishing moves etc... you've managed to capture some good ones and I was wondering if you could email me copies at *********@gmail.com

Now I happen to believe that if I take a photo of someone in a public place it is not unreasonable to let them have a copy (not sure if you'd all agree but that's my philosophy). How should I deal with this? He could just download the pics straight from my Flickr site; I could befriend him which gives him access to bigger pics, and I could go through my PC and send him more. But he could be some random trying his luck too!

[​IMG]

*Oops - messed up title!*

2. Alex_B

Alex_B No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    tough one .. ask him what he wants to use them for!

3. Fiendish Astronaut

Photos OK to edit
    Quick response there cheers. I asked him and just got a fairly short email back:

Hi,

I wasn't planning to 'use' them for anything, just nice to have some Capoeira for a change...

Matt​

My question is, when did Urso become Matt?! And since when did please become such a difficult word to use?

4. RMThompson

RMThompson the TPF moderators rock my world!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Well he can't actually download them from Flickr, because they have recently changed where you cannot right-click and save. He could actually press print screen and then go into a photo-editor and press paste, but thats a very low res image.

I'd ask him to sign a model release form, so you have full permission to use them, (I know you don't it, but it will ensure he's not lying about who he is), and then send him some low-res files suitable for 4x6 prints. If he wants larger, offer to sell him them!

5. darich

darich TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I agree with RMThompson.
    Whether he wants to use them or not is immaterial. You took the shot and he now wants a copy.

I'm a stickler for manners and assuming you copied his email verbatim, he hasn't said "please" or "thanks" anyhwhere in either of his emails.

Get him to sign a release in exchange for a reduced price. That release makes it easier for you to do what you like with the images.
    I say "easier" because, unless I'm mistaken, he was in full public view on public ground where photography was permitted. So I think legally you can do what you like with the image provided you don't make it look like he's endorsing a product or holds a certain belief.
    With the model release you can then use his image to endorse anything you like - provided the release covers that of course!

6. Fiendish Astronaut

Photos OK to edit
    Thanks for your replies. Seeing as he was in a public space I don't need a model release form nor do I know how to draft one up (there's always Google I suppose) - and to be honest I doubt if I'll ever use these shots. I may be showing my ignorance here but is there not a standard contract I can ask him to sign that prohibits him from being able to use the images for commercial use?

7. RMThompson

RMThompson the TPF moderators rock my world!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Ive got one. Throw me your email and I'll send it to you!