I don't get how people can say there's a better camera than the a33/a35 below $700...

ConradM

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
The main argument I always hear is that the alphas lack an OVF which makes the 7fps worthless. Or something like that.

Well now that spring is here, I've been shooting my kids a bunch I know that I would hate not having that 6 or 7fps burst. Oh and of course I have to mention how awesome it is that the thing continually AF's.

GreenBelt29Apr220mod.jpg

GreenBelt29Apr136mod.jpg

GreenBelt29Apr83mod.jpg

GreenBelt29Apr48mod.jpg

GreenBelt29Apr17mod.jpg

Nice shots. It is a matter of opinion though about ovf and evf, so that's just the way it is.

Not bad. $700 is a pretty good chunk of money though. I know I could buy a better camera for that (probably three better cameras). Better for me is probably not better for you though. ;)

It's all relative.

Not bad. $700 is a pretty good chunk of money though. I know I could buy a better camera for that (probably three better cameras). Better for me is probably not better for you though. ;)

It's all relative.

I'm talking new cameras for the new user.

Nice shots. It is a matter of opinion though about ovf and evf, so that's just the way it is.

Yeah but it kind of bums me out that people write the evf off when I think it works fine for the average person.

It's all relative.

I'm talking new cameras for the new user.
New users can't use used cameras? Just sayin' $700 is a lot, but not that much when it comes to cameras... (Does a lens have to come out of that $700 too?) You completely missed my point, BTW.

Just so I don't have to reply again when you still don't get my point - what is good for you is not necessarily good for me.

I demo'd the A33 and A35 a year ago or so now I guess it's been. I thought the A33 was a neat, small camera. Nicer than I had anticipated it would be, and quite compact. Beginning within days, the Nikon D3200 with 18-55 kit zoom will be at Best Buy and other stores for $699. That means a brand-new Sony-made sensor of 24.2 MP and pretty darned good High-ISO performance, as well as VERY high-rez images, for just under the $700 price point. For the person who has no investment in another lens system, I'd say it's well worth a look if you wanna' be open-minded and consider all the options available. Again as I said earlier, the Sony A33 was, to me, a nicely-made camera with an appealingly SMALL size and weight. Good "feel" in the hand, and surprisingly fast AF. Decent viewfinder image.

a37 is coming out soon $599.

Last edited:
To me its obvious those who critique the EVF haven't tried it. I prefer it to the OVF I've had before. It covers more area, gives you more information, works better in low light...

Canon and Nikon will have to come up with their version of EVF to keep up.

To me its obvious those who critique the EVF haven't tried it. I prefer it to the OVF I've had before. It covers more area, gives you more information, works better in low light...

ಠ_ಠ

I don't get why people feel the need to defend their cameras so strongly.

Update: Late last week I went to Best Buy and checked out the new Nikon D3200 I referenced above in my earlier post...it has the, "Great new sensor, same tiny, crappy viewfinder!" (That's the new slogan Nikon has for the D3200... Ashton Kutscher can deliver that line with a perfectly convincing, yet just-ever-so-slightly mischievous smile that makes the soccer moms simply melt...)

I checked out the VF on the a65, it was a nice departure from my a350 and the crapola you expect from an APS-C ... Still saving for the NEX 7 or maybe even a x-pro1. While I'm still weary of a pellicle, the viewfinder was nice, big and bright with lots of optional overlays.

I agree I would rather use EVF with bright 100% coverage than the mirror optical view finders in most camera in this class. Compared to a penta prism I would rather have a penta prism than an EVF.

Update: Late last week I went to Best Buy and checked out the new Nikon D3200 I referenced above in my earlier post...it has the, "Great new sensor, same tiny, crappy viewfinder!" (That's the new slogan Nikon has for the D3200... Ashton Kutscher can deliver that line with a perfectly convincing, yet just-ever-so-slightly mischievous smile that makes the soccer moms simply melt...)

I hate to admit it, but the Kutcher ads turn me off of Nikon.

Most reactions

Back