I Don't HAVE To | A Reminder

D-B-J

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Sometimes... I feel like I do things for others. I know we have all felt that way at some time or another--that what we are doing is not for us, but for others. Be it to please them or some other reason, it happens. Lately, I've been re-evaluating what photography means to me and what I want to do with it. Weddings? Portraits? Landscapes? Paid gigs? Pets? Well here's what sparked my thinking...

I spoke with a potential wedding client last night. It went well; they seemed excited, I was excited, etcetera. I went home and started thinking about what I should charge (I don't have those prices "set" like a pro might). And I thought. And thought. Thought about what I'd need to rent. How long I'd be there. How stressed I'd be. The list of shots seemed... long. The list of locations I needed to be at seemed... long. The more I thought the less excited I became. The more I thought about how easily I stress myself out. The more I thought about how I "enjoyed" the last event I shot, but remembered I didn't get LOST in it like I do when I shoot landscapes.

Sure, I came out with good images from my last wedding reception. Sure I made a few bucks. But it was a lot. And this got me thinking... why do I even say yes to shoot weddings? Why would I commit to one if it's not something I am PASSIONATE about? Because I want to please others--because I should shoot what others want me to shoot.

No. I decided. No. Two letters. But they took a while to arrive in my mind. I get so lost in what others want of me that I forget what I want to do. I want to shoot landscapes. I want to shoot portraits. I want to meet people. I want to talk photography with strangers I meet while shooting. But I DON'T want to shoot weddings. It's stressful. It's a big commitment. It's not for me.

I know that's a lot to read... so thanks if you read through that. I just intended this post as a reminder... don't forget why you shoot. "Shoot what YOU want to shoot--those will be your best images."

Jake

I agree. I too do a lot for others just because but the most fun is when it fits what I like too.
The best in life seems to be when it is win-win. I haven't done a wedding but I don't think I want to either. I do not want another job. I have enough of those.

A wonderful snippet to enjoy my coffee with.

I watched a clip the other night from a supposedly big landscape photographer. (Can't remember his name) and his words really resonated with me. Very loosely quoted, he said "if you are not memorized by what you are shooting, then the viewer can not be either"

I realized how true that is. My best images, with the best feed back, have been subjects I was EXCITED about shooting, or something that I found really really interesting.

I understand what you mean, but TBH I wouldn't mind a few days work if it pays for my gears. Not that I have any skills required for a wedding shoot, but if I could, i would. At least till I had enough gears to entertain such ridiculous thoughts! :lol:

Not a people person. Done one wedding. Not my thing. suppose if I really needed the money I would but it wouldn't be something I would normally volunteer to do. Someone asked me to do their family portraits by a waterfall a few months back. Again, really not my thing they wouldn't have paid me enough to get me on board for that. Good you recognize it maybe it is part of learning who we are in this.

I agree. I too do a lot for others just because but the most fun is when it fits what I like too.
The best in life seems to be when it is win-win. I haven't done a wedding but I don't think I want to either. I do not want another job. I have enough of those.

It's important not to forget to shoot what you want to shoot [emoji106]

I'll shoot a wedding happily if it pays for me to buy a lens that I want in order to take better portraits.

Oh I totally agree. I think it's more of my novice factor that makes me wary. I'd rather take the time to really work on portraits(still paid gigs) and second shooting before I take on another wedding. There's still a ton I need to learn.

I would say be thankful you have the ability to say no to a paying gig.

I am. It's not my sole source of income, so I am able to be picky about what I shoot.

A wonderful snippet to enjoy my coffee with.

I watched a clip the other night from a supposedly big landscape photographer. (Can't remember his name) and his words really resonated with me. Very loosely quoted, he said "if you are not memorized by what you are shooting, then the viewer can not be either"

I realized how true that is. My best images, with the best feed back, have been subjects I was EXCITED about shooting, or something that I found really really interesting.

Exactly. And right now, weddings don't mesmerize me. Maybe someday in the future...

I understand what you mean, but TBH I wouldn't mind a few days work if it pays for my gears. Not that I have any skills required for a wedding shoot, but if I could, i would. At least till I had enough gears to entertain such ridiculous thoughts! :lol:

Yeah, I know. But I haven't given up portrait shoots! Those still make me money [emoji5]️[emoji106]

Lately, I've been re-evaluating what photography means to me and what I want to do with it. Weddings? Portraits? Landscapes? Paid gigs? Pets?

I know that's a lot to read... so thanks if you read through that. I just intended this post as a reminder... don't forget why you shoot. "Shoot what YOU want to shoot--those will be your best images."

Jake
That's an idea, how you can approach your photography:
A Connoisseur of Vanishing Acts: An Interview With John Rosenthal | THR Blog

I have turned down 5 weddings this summer from people who wanted it shot on B+W film and the only reason is it would bore me shitless and none of the shots would be for me, i only shoot to please me

bingo.
notice I said above if I had to...

Not so bad though, I have done a hell of a lot worse things to put food on the table than clicking a shutter.

bingo.
notice I said above if I had to...

Not so bad though, I have done a hell of a lot worse things to put food on the table than clicking a shutter.

I am just happy you work. We need all the tax money we can get.

Never shot a wedding
but I would think it's like a super elongated landscape shot.
You plan out what you want to do and when .. but in infinite detail that encompasses a bunch of people over at least an entire day. Of course, a Sunset isn't going to be bridezilla anytime soon. So all the planning in the world may crash down lol .... okay ... so a wedding has to be planned and hopefully kept to plan. Landscapes are a lot more controlled, and repeatable. Alot less stress for sure. And if it doesn't work out, just come back another day except for a wedding.

Most reactions

Back