I don't know how to use my EXT tubes

pylesrm

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hey guys, I'm Randy, first time posting here. OK, so I have a set of Dot Line manual extension tubes. I can't use them on my Nikon D3200, with the kit 18-55mm Nikkor lens. When I attach the tubes with the lens, not only can I not capture anything, but I can't even see through the viewfinder!

Now, I know I need a lens with manual aperture control, but I know I'm doing something wrong. Any help would be great, thanks!

Do the tubes have the electrical contacts in them? If not, you cannot control the aperture on a kit lens.

I had a quick look at the Dot Line manual extension tubes online. It doesn't appear as if there is any aperture linkage on them. When you look at the front of the lens when the tubes are attached, are the aperture blades closed fully or can you see through the lens completely? If the blades are closed, then you're stuffed basically.

You have no way of controlling the aperture manually (one thing I hate about gelded lenses). At f/16 or whatever the maximum aperture is, it's probably too dark to see too much through the viewfinder, especially if used indoors.

Normally when you attach the lens the aperture linkage will open the blades up fully, to facilitate focusing. The camera then stops the lens down. If there is no linkage mechanism, which I couldn't see from looking at the Nikon version on the Adorama site, then you have no way of opening the blades up.

You'd probably also need to put the camera in M mode, to use them properly (with an old Ai, Ai-s or AF-D lens)

Last edited:
..........You have no way of controlling the aperture manually ..........

There actually is a way, but it would probably cost more than a new set of fully auto Kenko tubes.

As the old saying goes "if you buy cheap, you buy twice".

Mount the kit lens on your camera, then set the aperture to say F11 - that's normally what I use for my full flash macro. Press and hold the DOF (depth of field) preview button and unmount your kit lens. Not sure if your D3200 has a DOF preview button or not though.

At such small aperture, the viewfinder will be very very dim though, and you'll need focusing light.

Very similar to this Venus 2:1 manual macro lens I have tested. You can find more info here:

Venus 60mm 2 1 macro lens Up Close with Nature

With Canon you can use manual ext. tubes and see through the viewfinder but not with Nikon. You need to get ones that has the electrical contacts. Check the link...

Nikon 3200 auto extension tubes eBay

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
I had a quick look at the Dot Line manual extension tubes online. It doesn't appear as if there is any aperture linkage on them. When you look at the front of the lens when the tubes are attached, are the aperture blades closed fully or can you see through the lens completely? If the blades are closed, then you're stuffed basically.

You have no way of controlling the aperture manually (one thing I hate about gelded lenses). At f/16 or whatever the maximum aperture is, it's probably too dark to see too much through the viewfinder, especially if used indoors.

Normally when you attach the lens the aperture linkage will open the blades up fully, to facilitate focusing. The camera then stops the lens down. If there is no linkage mechanism, which I couldn't see from looking at the Nikon version on the Adorama site, then you have no way of opening the blades up.

You'd probably also need to put the camera in M mode, to use them properly (with an old Ai, Ai-s or AF-D lens)

I hadn't thought of looking through the lens ditached, but if memory serves correctly, I have before and it does look fairly closed. I think I am going to need either ones with contacts, or an older lens, which I would rather just find an older one with 52mm end, so I can use my macro filters.

There are some great camera stores in my area, I'm sure an older AI lens would do the trick. An AI lens W/ ext tubes and three stacked macro filters. I'm excited!

Be sure to pick up a BR-6 so you can open & close the aperture with ease!

Be sure to pick up a BR-6 so you can open & close the aperture with ease!

Hmm...so I wonder if I could do this: Camera body->EXT tubes->BR-6->lens->filters

Most reactions

Back