I don't know if this should be here...

Hertz van Rental

We're supposed to post photos?
Reaction score
...but I couldn't think where else to put it.
As Christmas approaches and we have members of this board from all around the world I thought it would be neat if - on Christmas day or Boxing day - we could rig up some kind of live link using web cams so that we could all see what Christmas looks like around the world.
Just the view out of the window maybe and just for a minute or two so it doesn't intrude.
I know we are a photo forum and we could post pictures (idea for a theme and maybe a comp there) but seeing it live would be so much better. It would, I think, bring us all that much closer together for a few magic minutes.
What does everyone else think?
Is it possible? Could we do it?

that'd be great... I'd like to see how you celebrate Christmas :)

Walt said:
I have to work :(

Just make sure that Ebineezer has the heat turned up. :D

I think this is a cool idea but I'm not sure about the logisitics of it. How could we set up to have, say, a hundred people sharing webcams? I don't know of a program that could handle that.

hobbes28 said:
I think this is a cool idea but I'm not sure about the logisitics of it. How could we set up to have, say, a hundred people sharing webcams? I don't know of a program that could handle that.

free software that gives you your own page. download, configure, publish your url.

http://ww.com/

yah, that's a url, belive it or not.

this is the download url:

http://www2.camarades.com/downloads/webcam.exe

Hertz van Rental said:
motcon said:

That's a pesky .exe file - I use a Mac :(

Instead of having all the cameras working at the same time I wondered if we could set up just one page that we could all view that cycled through the webcams one after another?

i can code that, but O-M-G the bandwidth.....

Hertz van Rental said:
Maybe if we limit it to one webcam in each country? Would that make a difference?

it would help, yes, but bandwidth will still be a problem. all said and done we will have close to about 10 hours worth of streaming (time zones taken into consideration) if not more. that's a ton of data transfer.

each person with a page and a consolidated page with links to each of the cams is optimal.

or even just a picture, or a short 30 second or so video clip perhaps?

we can make a holiday photo thread or something of that sort.... :?

Most reactions

New Topics

Back