I don't know what to do... Will you people give me some advice?

Senor Hound

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Okay, so I wanna buy a DSLR. But I'm really really afraid to. I have a fear of spending money, even on things that I know I'll love. Even on top of that I have no clue what to buy. Just when I think I've figured it out, I start second-guessing myself and I freak out.

I want a Nikon. I specifically want a D70. But I really can't spend more than 400 or so for it and a kit lens (18-55). I can't find it for that much, though! So then I think about the D40, but its $450 and I start spending more than I have (and I don't want the D40). And then, I have these Canon lenses someone gave me, which means I could just buy a Canon body and have two lenses, but I don't like the Canon's layout as much as the Nikon's (Nikons just make sense to me, if you get what I'm saying). I could sell the lenses on E-bay, but I don't know for how much or anything.

Anyway, I feel really confused and frustrated. I have a Panasonic Lumix (FZ20) that was given to me, or else I probably would have never bought it either. And my camera is great, I have so much fun taking photos! I'm afraid I'll get something I don't like (i.e. "I should have gotten the Canon"), and with buying used, I'm also afraid of getting something that isn't what I thought it was (gray market, burnt out pixels, broken and un-returnable camera, etc.).

Can someone give me some pointers on what they would do as far as buying what you want or buying what is easiest to buy?

If you're not willing to spend money, a DSLR may be a waste. Lenses are expensive and other accessories can be expensive. If you're just buying one to use as a glorified P&S, why not get a DSLR type P&S where you won't be able to buy additional lenses for it.

No offense, senor, but I can't help wondering what you're like buying a car.:)

Don't worry about making a mistake! We all our fair share of them. Go out and buy yourself a nice Nikon D40, and if it makes you nervous, get a part time job to help pay for it.

I agree with Village Idiot, however it can be good at the same time. If you are really into photography and you think that you will use it then its definitely the way to go. You can always buy (or rent) another lens to do the task that you are setting out to do.

As far as buying a DSLR, I would check the buy/sell section of this forum. You should be able to find some good stuff pretty cheap from people who know cameras and more often than not took good care of their stuff.

I bought my camera as a refurbished model through B&H and it works perfectly fine.

My last tip would be to get out to a photo store and play with the camera you want extensively.

Perhaps it would help for us to know exactly what Canon lenses you have. If they're really great lenses then I think you should seriously consider going the Canon route.

Here's an idea... Save, save, save, then buy what you want.

I have a similar problem, I know what I want and I have settled on things that I thought would work due to cost. Most of the time I am somewhat satisfied, but other times I wish I would have saved the extra $$.

Hope that helps.

go to www.keh.com for the camera body. You can get them for around $350 in decent condition and you can probably find kit lenses on there for cheap as well.

If your worried about spending $400, then photography isn't right for you. Lenses easily get into the thousands of dollars, as do camera bodies. That's not counting all the little doo-dads and expensive tripods.

Make sure this is something you want to buy before buying it. Before I bought anything I went to my local photography store and played around with many different cameras to decide what I liked and disliked.

If your having trouble, write down all the pros and cons of buying a new camera along with the pros and cons of the different cameras. Sometimes looking at them in print makes you realize if it's something you really want. There is a saying in poker that seems like it might apply here. "If you think long, you think wrong."

Goodluck with your decision.

Firstly, I think you'll find that a D70 is the same price or cheaper then a D40.... I've seen D70/kit-lens outfits sell for $400, and for $450 you can buy a D70 with a "better then kit" lens. The cheapest I've seen the d40 with kit lens was $450.

My advice is to keep bidding on ebay, sooner or later you'll snag a D70 outfit for your price.

An ebay tip: look for a "d70s," for no other reason then it's a less common search term, and you can take advantage of the smaller bidding pool.

go to www.keh.com for the camera body. You can get them for around $350 in decent condition and you can probably find kit lenses on there for cheap as well.

If your worried about spending $400, then photography isn't right for you. Lenses easily get into the thousands of dollars, as do camera bodies. That's not counting all the little doo-dads and expensive tripods.

I don't agree, sure many of us spend a small fortune on equipment BECAUSE we can afford it.

There's no reason to advise someone with less $$ to stay out of photography, especially with digital which doesn't have any on-going expenses.

If you were limited to one lens and handheld would your truely give up photography altogether.. I bet not. ;)

No offense, senor, but I can't help wondering what you're like buying a car.:)

Don't worry about making a mistake! We all our fair share of them. Go out and buy yourself a nice Nikon D40, and if it makes you nervous, get a part time job to help pay for it.

Me buying a car is bad. If it were up to me, it would take six months and I'd still be walking everywhere. Usually I have my dad help me out, cause he used to sell cars, and he's a lot better at just picking one (like the car I have now, which I LOVE!). I'm a total commitment-phobe. I feel sorry for my ex-girlfriends now that I realize this about myself.

No, I have been saving, but I told myself this is all I will spend. When I get the money, its going to go into cool lenses, like the 18-200, and a 50mm, and stuff like that. The body I'm really not psyched about spending a lot on, but I tried out the cameras at the store, and Nikons just made sense. That, and the D70 has the dual control wheels so I THINK using manual mode (I'm trying to learn more quickly) will be more convenient. On mine, I have to hit a button, then hit another button to adjust the settings in manual (I don't have any control wheel), and its a pain in the hind end...

I was just having a panicky moment. Thanks to everyone for their answers. What I really need to tell myself is that if I get to the point that I do have to sell this expensive investment, its not going to be worthless tomorrow. I feel like if I buy it, I can never sell it again, you know?

Well you will be limited in lenses if you decide you are only going to spend a certain amount. Me Im saving my pennies for a D3, well when Im not spending it on glass.

Well you will be limited in lenses if you decide you are only going to spend a certain amount. Me Im saving my pennies for a D3, well when Im not spending it on glass.

I understand that, but I also understand I make minimum wage. Without getting into a discussion on economics and living wages, lets just say I'm doing the best I can, and I am serious about this.

Quite honestly (and I know 95% of the people here disagree with me), if you're not completely sure what you want to spend your money on, I think that it is worth hanging on to just your point and shoot for another 6 months or even a year, and then investing in a dslr. I'm using an slr-like point and shoot, and it has full manual controls, and honestly I haven't gotten to the point where I desperately need more than that gives me. Depending on where you are in your photography, it may make more sense to wait until you feel you understand every last thing that camera can teach you, and then moving on to the slr when you are more confident about it.

If you do not have a "need" for a DSLR, there is no reason to get one.

"Wanting one" is a good reason. But then if you "wanted" one, you will not need us to convince you.

"Can someone give me some pointers on what they would do as far as buying what you want or buying what is easiest to buy?" UH?
I find this question more suited for asking while laying back and directed at someone you pay $150/hr, once a week.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back