i dont shoot people much... (C&C pls)

y0aimee

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Here are just a few shots that I took of my sis (my practice model). I'm just trying to get more practice at shooting people. Lmk what you think.. any C&C would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

4562194227_e633e120cb_b.jpg

4562194317_58d1df4fdf_b.jpg

4562194403_1bf8879a07_b.jpg

4562194447_64ecc1d337_b.jpg

4562824614_d9f6976a18_b.jpg

4562194765_d5bec0a4be_b.jpg

4562824950_8a11bf3c39_b.jpg

4562195119_f1e4f87c93_b.jpg

I'll go through these for you:

1. Nice pose, just watch for foreground objects becoming too obstructive to view. I like that it isn't such a standard pose in a standard area, good job.

2. This one, really make sure to watch limbs and something called foreshortening. This is when a limb comes towards camera and ends up looking very awkward (the legs in this case, at least in my opinion look off with this) Also her left arm is behind her back, making her look very off balance and as if she were missing said arm. I don't mind that she is looking off screen but the problem is I can barely make out her eyes.

3. Again watch things going in front of people, I'm thinking that it ran through your head but you decided it was blurry enough to ignore? Right now those ropes are cutting her body into boxy segments, not too attractive.

4. Watch the crop again, cutting off her hand. Otherwise not a bad pose, just not a fan of the 45 degree angle for this particular shot.

5. This is nice, you use the natural light to highlight your subject. This is one of your stronger ones so far, even with what some people may consider a busy background (the leaves of the tree casting shadows) Just make sure to really watch what is going on with your backgrounds.

6. This is where a reflector would help out a lot, a bit of bounce fill would have helped soothe that dark area on the bottom, and enable you to possibly bring down the exposure a bit so that the top left wouldn't be as hot.

7. This one is really nice, I would have liked to see it taken landscape though instead of portrait. I don't know what is outside of what you're showing me, but right now I feel as if she is in a tight box and a bit squished.

8. Again, nice pose and location. If possible it would have been nice if she were against a solid background instead of that harsh line break that goes up right from her feet, don't know if it would have been possible to move her a little to the right.

^^ Thank you so much for the feedback!
I will pay more attention to stuff in the foreground and background. I was using a 55-200mm lens for the shots. I'm saving up for more lenses that'll help with DOF.

And for #3, I was trying to do something a little more creative and different.
How about this one as an alternative?
4564008398_f2c6c8f990.jpg

And here's another one...
4564026192_a7b7a7308a.jpg

Great pictures, I don't have much C&C for you because I'm still a newbie to this. But you have great pictures and I have to agree with SHMNE, the ropes are distracting. Keep up the good work :thumbup:

1) OK, though the mesh background is a bit too busy and distracting, as are the ropes in the near foreground. I'd have either recomposed, or maybe used a shallower depth of field to blur out the background more. She looks a little underexposed to me as well. I'd expose for the face and not worry too much if other elements are too light or dark as a result. The back of her right arm looks a bit big and broad; having her turn it so it was side on may have been more flattering and balanced the photo better.

2) Nice composition and pose, though again her face looks a little underexposed to me.

3) Don't like. My eyes are drawn to the ropes blocking the view more than to the model.

4) Not bad - the angle doesn't seem to do any harm here, but it does look a little awkward that you cut off her fingers and toes.

5) I like very much - everything works for me, and I think the leafy shadows on the left actually add quite a lot to the picture.

6) The legs are too dark and merge together, and in this case the fat shadow coming out the side of her face is distracting, and the straight arms look awkward. The hair looks great at least.

7) Works for me, though her face seems a tiny bit out of focus? And it might have looked a bit more balanced with a tiny bit of space past her fingertips before the edge of the frame.

8) [Can't see this image at the moment]

Your re-posted alternative to 3 is better, although she ends up a bit small in the frame with so much going on around her. Again, a shallower depth of field to blur out the foreground and background elements more may have helped.

The final picture posted on the poolside is very nice; however I feel it needed a little bit more space above her head, and also should have shown the whole shadow from her feett at the bottom.

not bad. nothing really to do here. not really going to comment on the poses and such given this is your sister and not a pro.

One piece of advice though, Try to get pictures of the model doing things and not poses of them looking like they are doing things.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back