I don't understand Instagram

nerwin

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Website
nickerwin.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I've only been on Instagram for a few years but I just don't understand how people get so many followers.

I have posted 531 photos to instagram with with tags relating to the photo and I only achieved around 120 followers in a few years of time.

But others share like 20 photos and get 2,000 followers and they don't tag any of their photos!

I just don't get it...

Your just not popular... remember high school?

There are many ways from using "like" farms (<cheating) to getting featured by many pages that already have many followers. Then there is marketing. It can even come down to the time of day you post. On 500px I notice that I get the most traffic from Russia/Europe when I post in the middle of the night.

Posting interesting content that others will like and share helps too.

Last edited:
nerwin, have you gone through puberty yet? If you have that would probably explain it.

Instagram.jpg

Few thoughts:

1 ) Time of day is important. Heck even on forums hte time of day impacts how many comments you will get. I know that if I post things at weekends chances are I will get less views; similarly by my time zone the best times for UK forums are in the mornings of weekdays - afternoons are hit and miss and evenings more so.

2) Content - some things are just more popular than others. This often changes and can be very up and down.

3) Tagging - sometimes its not tagging correctly but with the right words that get searched. It's why you get some tags on things that just "don't make sense" because its there for attention seeking rather than being informative

4) Like-backs and networking. Getting someone with thousands to like your stuff/share it and that feeds back into you getting increased exposure. Some people even use duplicate accounts so that they can farm the popular fans from one into another

5) Marketing and awareness on the net - the more you get your name out there the more chance there is of getting more views and likes and followers and such.

6) Buying - yep you can buy them. Facebook likes; flickr likes anything there are people who make legions of accounts and then help you farm the likes. It's low pay but low input work for them. It's how some companies can go from 0 to 10000000 in days. That said it is generally one of those things that gets spotted if not done right.

7) Steamroller effect - this might be a marketing move; it might be posting a series of images that are very "popular" on the net at that point in time etc... Basically adding content or doing marketing that builds quickly one ontop of the other to boost the content and awareness.

In general getting LOTS of fanservice is a job unto itself in social media and those with a vast following are either super talented or spend a significant amount of time marketing (or pay someone else to do that for htem)

I think I can help.

Are you using filters?

Are your pictures of hot hipster girls pretending they aren't as pretty as they know they are by wearing baggy t-shirts or oversized glasses with no lenses? It also helps if you include hashtags such as #messyhairnocare #nomakeup (even if there is) or #nofilter (even if there is.)

Do you post pictures of every semi-healthy or expensive meal you eat? Every healthy meal must have the hashtag #yum. The good news is, even if you eat cookies and popcorn for dinner six nights a week, everyone will think you're a health nut because all of your photos are of salad. You also must post whenever you eat out and tag the people you're with, so everyone will know how popular you are.

Take a picture of your feet every day. Include a pretentious book and cup of specialty tea, even if you can't read or hate the taste of tea. Take bubble bath photos too, so everyone can image you naked without anyone calling you a slut.

Lastly, have fun! Instagram is a fun and easy tool for amateurs and professionals alike. Millions have become famous from it, and you can too!!

According to an on-line IG guru whose three-video blast I watched last week, HASHTAGGING your images, in the comments, NOT directly in your caption, is the understood way to draw followers. You upload an image and them immediately hashtag it with the maximum allowable number of tags, 30, and then wait for the followers to come rolling in. ( lol )

GO to TagsForLikes, and get an idea of the most-popular hashtags. THey have them in copy and paste format. Pick some tags, and paste them to the clipboard or Notes in your phone...upload image...make comment and in that comment, paste in your 30 tags,

TagsForLikes

see the #followforfollow tag???? Whoring is the world's oldest profession. Instagram whoring is much newer, and more trendy.

Whores have always know what their customers were really,really looking for. Today, people search by hashtags, and ones in the comments are more easily searched, as I understand it, according to whatzhisname's video series. If you are not using the most-popular hashtags, your stuff will simply be buried under the digital avalanche that IG has become. There are also tons of like-for-like people.

You also need REGULAR, fairly predictable new content uploads, or so everybody says. Of course, IG can also be kept small, and personal, and private, or friend- and family-centric.

There are many ways from using "like" farms (<cheating) to getting featured by many pages that already have many followers. Then there is marketing. It can even come down to the time of day you post. On 500px I notice that I get the most traffic from Russia/Europe when I pussy in the middle of the night.

When you WHAT in the middle of the night, jake?

I get Instagram - the company wants your pictures - for free. I can manage just fine without Instagram, but can they stay in business without free use of people's photos?? no, they wouldn't even have a website. Have you looked at their Terms lately? check those out before you give somebody your photos.

There are many ways from using "like" farms (<cheating) to getting featured by many pages that already have many followers. Then there is marketing. It can even come down to the time of day you post. On 500px I notice that I get the most traffic from Russia/Europe when I pussy in the middle of the night.

When you WHAT in the middle of the night, jake?

Tastes great, less filling.......

Most reactions

Back