i dont understand monopods

As Garbz puts it, try a EF 70-200 f/2.8 IS handheld and than see what you need. With no support, 3.5lbs + camera is a bit to hold without some sort of support for nice crisp images; even with IS. Might I recommend the Manfrotto 685B. It is AWESOME. Great for nature, sport where tripods are not suitable. Quick to set-up, take-down.

Lately I have shot a ton of sporting events. I could not survive without my monopod. I have tried to shoot a soccer game without it and my arms were real tired when I was done. With it, I am able to move around a lot easier because I do not have to support the weight of a 70-200 2.8 VR for 90+ minutes.

i'm going to get a monopod so i can carry it around on trips and stuff, it was a little latch at the bottom that supports it as well so thats pretty cool

only $20

also good if a mugger tries to steal my camera

ill just slug him with the monopod

You can also use them to beat up people who think using the flash on a sunny day is silly.

Mine doubles as a walking stick... I've got weak ankles from an old injury.

Monopods are almost always useful in low light or when a tripod is just not practical. Also very useful for long telephotos.. tired arms=unsteady. I think people shooting handheld with those big monster lenses just look silly... a simple monopod can almost always improve your shots.

There are several tripods out there that have center columes that extend to a monopod... worth looking into if you do decide that one will be helpful.

Lordson, the trick to a monopod is that it acts as the front leg of a tripod. If you spread your legs while using one they become the other two.

So, a wide stance and a good general technique while using a monopod will give very good results. You'll like it.. ;).

You can also use them to beat up people who think using the flash on a sunny day is silly.

most people use the flash to illuminate targets half a mile away .. so that looks silly. even with a monopod. now beat me.

The carbon fiber ones make a good walking stick and a great weapon to go chase and poke the nearest Kodiak bear you find in the woods... or so they tell me! (lol !!)

Carbon fiber would actually lose in a battle with a bear. Carbon fiber is inherently only strong in a single direction. There are methods to weave it so that this is less true...but usually in something like a monopod...it's meant to be straight from top to bottom, and not side to side.
It would snap in half if you struck something hard with it.

However...it's light as a mother...so it's very useful.

Lordson, the trick to a monopod is that it acts as the front leg of a tripod. If you spread your legs while using one they become the other two.

So, a wide stance and a good general technique while using a monopod will give very good results. You'll like it.. ;).

ahhhhhh! thank you!, its makes perfect sence now

geez, i never would have come up with that

how heavy is a light monopod? 500grams? (bout a pound)

Not sure if this was said but try shooting football with a tripod and having a tackle occur right in front of you - you can't move a tripod as quick as you can a monopod. You also can't move around for the action as easier with a tripod.

Carbon fiber would actually lose in a battle with a bear.

Hehehe.. interesting conversation we have here.... heheh lol

Me.. I'd take that carbon fiber monopod.. smash it on a rock and use the resulting sharp spear as a weapon...

I once saw a mountain biker on a carbon frame go down hard... the frame shattered and one of the shards cut him pretty badly on the leg. He would have been fine if it wasn't for the deep cut. This was a while ago so I'm sure further design improved safety.

Not only does the monopod double as a good weapon as has been pointed out, but if you get really bored and photography isn't exactly panning out for that day, it also doubles as a bat should you want to play a game of stick ball.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back