I don't want this shadow

MKamran

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Now i got a Yongnuo 568 Flash that is an HSS & TTL as my experts advised me to buy a TTL..
I took this picture and it had this shadow at the back... was my angle not right? was the flash not at proper angle?
IMG_4641.jpg

Lemme guess.... the flash was mounted on the shoe, right?

Well, if the flash is so close to the lens, that's where the shadow is going to end up. If you want to move the shadow, you need to move the flash, or learn to bounce the light, or use some sort of modifier.

Yes the flash was mounted. So should I have had a white page to bounce the light but where should it have been? i mean i don't want the shadow at all... what could be my best fix next time?

Whats a modifier?

What I do with on-camera flash.......... is adjust my flash upwards and to the right or left 45 degrees or so, and bounce it off the ceiling. About the best you can do until you get into off-camera flash.

Rogers Sir!!

Now i was not even breathing in this picture... why did the focus get lost???

I always have trouble with AV mode..

Thats why i usually stick to TV mode.

plus my babies won't stop in one play...they would rather run than to stop and pose for my pictures... but i want my shots to be able to catch even their moving moments!! HELP PLEASE
IMG_4652.jpg

Shutter speed 1/20 that was the fault in this picture--AM I RIGHT??

Attachments

• 2015-01-11-0033.jpg
    2015-01-11-0033.jpg
    244.5 KB · Views: 162
Shot #1... bounce the flash off a "white" ceiling (preferably) or wall. If the flash is too close, you may need to "feather" it in or use a bounce card -- otherwise too much light from overhead creates "raccoon" eyes (backing up fixes that problem too.)

Shot #2... the camera was not in continuous focus mode. If Canon, switch from "One Shot" AF to "AI Servo" AF (if Nikon, this same mode is called "AF-C"). This is the "continuous" focus mode. The camera will continue to refine focus and update it as your subject moves. If you are not shooting a moving subject, switch back to "One Shot" (Nikon AF-S).

Shot #3... yes, your shutter speed was too slow. But you own a flash... switch that on and you'll be fine (bounce it.)

• now here's confession to make... i am a full time stay at home MOM of two babies-a year & 2 years old. I have only knowledge to the basics & would really appreciate if I can be guided about some sort of easy crash courses so i can better my photography skills please.

• now here's confession to make... i am a full time stay at home MOM of two babies-a year & 2 years old. I have only knowledge to the basics & would really appreciate if I can be guided about some sort of easy crash courses so i can better my photography skills please.
YouTube has some pretty good videos to give a good general explanation of the basics.

To grab those spontaneous shots of the children, have your camera ready most of the time. After you finish getting them dressed for play, turn on the flash and the camera and keep it nearby (out of reach of the children).

Practice turning your flash toward the ceiling or an adjacent wall, or even just something large and white. Even a white shirt on a hanger will improve the flash.

Be aware of minimum focus distance, so if the child approaches closer than your lens will focus, put the camera up and don't try to take a close picture.

Put your camera in shutter priority if you expect you'll need a fast shutter.

Put your camera in aperture priority if you need a deeper DOF.

Put your camera in manual if you need to control both aperture and shutter.

Make lots of photographs and learn to recognize what has happened to make each one, both good ones and bad ones.

If you have a specific question about a photograph, post it in a new thread and ask your question.

Go here for your free crash course: Strobist

Start at the bottom of the column on the right where it says, "Lighting 101 Archive". Work your way through that, then move on to the next, "Lighting 102 Archive".

First shot: for spontaneous, as-they-happen shots you're not going to be able to "set up" and you'll be limited to flash on the camera. If it's pointed right at the subject, you get shadows. No way to avoid them. That's why you turn it to the side and light up the wall, or turn it upward and light up the ceiling. That's "bouncing" the flash. Comes with its own issues, though. If the wall is too far away, maybe you don't get enough light, or the light's color will be affected by non-white walls or ceiling, giving the image a color cast.

Second picture, focus was either never achieved, or lost because the subject moved. If you hold the half-press of the shutter button and your focus is not continuous, it never changes from the first hit until you release the button and start over.

Third picture, slow shutter. Happens if you shoot Av and the light is too low. The camera will use whatever shutter gets the correct amount of light onto the sensor, and it doesn't care what happens during that shutter. Av mode is for control of depth of field, as you set the aperture you want and let the camera figure out the shutter. If your priority is actually controlling motion blur, then shoot Tv, shutter-priority.

Keep in mind, also, that even when using a flash, the camera will try to expose as best it can without considering the flash. In other words, if you're shooting Av and the correct shutter speed that's metered is 1/10 second, It will shoot at 1/10 second. The flash will fill the image but the ambient light collected during that 1/10 is also there, probably with significant motion blur. Consider full manual control when shooting flash photography, set both shutter and aperture to what you want, and let the TTL flash handle the exposure.

Most reactions

Back