I failed today

I heard this like three times yesterday "Do you do photography professionally or for fun? You have a nice camera! It must take good pictures" Haha.

Isn't it strange how some people just say it right out of the blue?
I used to get a little upset when people said stuff like this. Eventually when I realized that it will NEVER stop, it became funny. No matter how many times you explain that it's not the camera, inevitably we'll have to say it again to hundreds more people.

I heard this like three times yesterday "Do you do photography professionally or for fun? You have a nice camera! It must take good pictures" Haha.

I used to get a little upset when people said stuff like this. Eventually when I realized that it will NEVER stop, it became funny. No matter how many times you explain that it's not the camera, inevitably we'll have to say it again to hundreds more people.

I wasn't upset. I just thought it was funny.

These two are probably my favorite shots of the day. As you guys can tell..this is a small town parade. Nothing fancy.

Erwin-170624-11579.jpg

Erwin-170624-11493.jpg

Erwin-170624-11496.jpg

Last edited:
I think the question you should be asking yourself @nerwin, why wasn't I feeling it? If you know that answer, then it creates an opportunity. Example, I'm not into senior pics... Why? Because I don't know the person. It's not that I am not getting paid or very little paid, it's because I don't know who they are personally. Opportunity? Realizing this, I have to meet up with them prior and get to know them. Why? So I can prepare to capture them in a way that it has the potential to make them happy. I potentially flipped my attitude. Problems are normally opportunity of things unseen. Going to an event and not feeling it is a problem but....potentially an opportunity unseen. Unseen was a plan, have a plan, look for those moments and capture them.

I think the question you should be asking yourself @nerwin, why wasn't I feeling it? If you know that answer, then it creates an opportunity. Example, I'm not into senior pics... Why? Because I don't know the person. It's not that I am not getting paid or very little paid, it's because I don't know who they are personally. Opportunity? Realizing this, I have to meet up with them prior and get to know them. Why? So I can prepare to capture them in a way that it has the potential to make them happy. Problems are normally opportunity of things unseen. Going to an event and not feeling it is a problem but and potentially an opportunity unseen.

You don't want to know why I wasn't feeling it haha. It's personal.

I wish I was more outgoing like you are. But having social anxiety and other disorders, makes it really difficult for me to interact or even being around people unless I've known them for many years. It's really hard for me man, but I am trying.

Has something like this ever happened to you? Please don't tell me I'm only one who has experienced this!
You are for sure not alone in this! When I was in nursing school I mostly used photography as a stress reliever, which it did! But my photography work would not be where it normally is, and thats probably because I still had a lot on my mind from my tests and what not.

Sometimes when I am not shooting well I will just stop and take a seat somewhere and just clear my mind. Usually that will put me in the right mindset for taking photos.

Putting aside the mood issue, I don't see anything to complain about with these results. You were shooting in harsh light, but you've got good exposures, interesting subjects, and a good overall feeling of the event; you've even got the ejected brass from the volley in #3.

Putting aside the mood issue, I don't see anything to complain about with these results. You were shooting in harsh light, but you've got good exposures, interesting subjects, and a good overall feeling of the event; you've even got the ejected brass from the volley in #3.

Yeah the light was harsh. Mid day. Not much I could do. I guess a flash could've helped. But I was hoping for cloudy weather! Haha.

I figured you weren't upset, just pointing out how I could relate. I think we can all relate to the annoyance of those people.

And to address my comment about no longer taking pictures if you don't like it anymore, I hope you don't think I was being harsh. I'm just the type to be very straightforward about those kinds of things. When someone is saying they don't know if they'll continue taking photos ever, it immediately correlates to that person no longer enjoying it, which to me is the biggest indicator that one should stop taking pictures.

I'm not into senior pics... Why? Because I don't know the person. It's not that I am not getting paid or very little paid, it's because I don't know who they are personally. Opportunity? Realizing this, I have to meet up with them prior and get to know them. Why? So I can prepare to capture them in a way that it has the potential to make them happy. I potentially flipped my attitude.
I started doing the same thing, and it definitely caused a change in the direction of improvement once I did. It's even more important to me with personal work to meet the model first, and often times I work many more times with the models who I get along best with. I know for a fact that I have a loud, flamboyant and sometimes harsh personality and a brand of honesty that can be hard for some to swallow, and finding out ahead of time that I do or don't get along with someone is always helpful. If I don't get along with them, I have no issue toning it down for them so they're comfortable or so I can slowly break their walls down. Long story short, I totally agree that taking a minute to meet up with whomever you're photographing before the photo shoot is a big help and will generally result in better photos.

Last edited:

Yeah the light was harsh. Mid day. Not much I could do. I guess a flash could've helped. But I was hoping for cloudy weather! Haha.
Nothing wrong with harsh light, especially for an event. A skilled photographer can make it work as you clearly did.

I figured you weren't upset, just pointing out how I could relate. I think we can all relate to the annoyance of those people.

And to address my comment about no longer taking pictures if you don't like it anymore, I hope you don't think I was being harsh. I'm just the type to be very straightforward about those kinds of things. When someone is saying they don't know if they'll continue taking photos ever, it immediately correlates to that person no longer enjoying it, which to me is the biggest indicator that one should stop taking pictures.

If I stop taking pictures, then I have nothing to live for. It's the only thing in my life that I have some kind of accomplishment in. I suffer from depression and photography has been very important to me as it helps me cope. So it's probably wise I don't stop haha. I was just having a bad day and venting moreless.

I wish I was more outgoing like you are. But having social anxiety and other disorders, makes it really difficult for me to interact or even being around people unless I've known them for many years. It's really hard for me man, but I am trying.
I have bipoloar disorder and used to have some major social anxiety that still surfaces at times. My ex boyfriend has the same diagnosis as I do, and a few years ago he started encouraging me to face my social anxieties by confronting the situations that would trigger my anxiety. Going to a crowded gay bar by myself was a huge one that still sometimes gets me. I started taking his advice and putting myself in these situations purposely, and it's had good results. I learned that my fears and anxieties were in my head, and that most other people are so involved with what's happening in their own head that they don't even consider why I'm there or that I'm alone, or that I'm awkward. Anyone who actually DOES have a problem with me being awkward, or simply being there, is clearly not the type of person who's opinions I should even give a moment of my attention to, because they're a bully. Eventually my real personality started coming out as I became comfortable and less insecure, and then I started making real friends and connections. Sometimes facing what you fear will help you move past it, and eventually you are going to have to face them or become a shut-in (which is the direction I was headed). Perhaps we can't relate because we don't have the same diagnosis, but we both deal with social anxieties and mental disorders, and I'm telling you from experience that it's possible to face these speed bumps and get past them. It's important to be an Optimist, because we of all people NEED optimism in our lives in order to stay alive and to get the things that we want out of life. Stay positive man.

I have bipoloar disorder and used to have some major social anxiety that still surfaces at times. My ex boyfriend has the same diagnosis as I do, and a few years ago he started encouraging me to face my social anxieties by confronting the situations that would trigger my anxiety. Going to a crowded gay bar by myself was a huge one that still sometimes gets me. I started taking his advice and putting myself in these situations purposely, and it's had good results. I learned that my fears and anxieties were in my head, and that most other people are so involved with what's happening in their own head that they don't even consider why I'm there or that I'm alone, or that I'm awkward. Anyone who actually DOES have a problem with me being awkward, or simply being there, is clearly not the type of person who's opinions I should even give a moment of my attention to, because they're a bully. Eventually my real personality started coming out as I became comfortable and less insecure, and then I started making real friends and connections. Sometimes facing what you fear will help you move past it, and eventually you are going to have to face them or become a shut-in (which is the direction I was headed). Perhaps we can't relate because we don't have the same diagnosis, but we both deal with social anxieties and mental disorders, and I'm telling you from experience that it's possible to face these speed bumps and get past them. It's important to be an Optimist, because we of all people NEED optimism in our lives in order to stay alive and to get the things that we want out of life. Stay positive man.

I've always said I wish I was normal, but being normal is boring.

I'd talk more but I really don't feel comfortable talking about personal stuff.

But I was just trying to explain that I was having a really bad day. That's all.

I've always said I wish I was normal, but being normal is boring.

I'd talk more but I really don't feel comfortable talking about personal stuff.

But I was just trying to explain that I was having a really bad day. That's all.
Not trying to be confrontational or anything, just offering some relatable advice. I'll move on then.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back