I feel really dumb having to ask, but is this a scam?

BTilson

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Yep, craigslist. I'm (trying) to sell some old (and not so old) film equipment on craigslist. I got an email from someone first inquiring about more details of the condition of each camera. Innocent enough, so far, so I replied. Then I get this response... To me it just seems to be some sort of a scam. I looked up the details of what a certified check is, and it seems that if I cash it and get the money BEFORE they get the items, I'm in the clear... but I still don't feel good about it. Any ideas?

Here is the email:

Hello...
I really appreciate your response to my mail.I want you to consider it sold, pls i want you to go and remove the advert from craigslist to avoid disturbance. I want you to know that I will payed through certified check. Kindly email me your full name,physical address, home and cell phone number so that the payment can be mailed out to you asap.
I will like you to know that you will not be responsible for shipping I will have my mover to come over as soon as you have cashed the
check..

Yes it is. For sure

Hint #1 "pls i want you to go and remove the advert from craigslist"

Hint #2 "I will payed through certified check"

Hint #3 "email me your full name,physical address, home and cell phone number"

Hint #4 "I will have my mover to come over as soon as you have cashed the
check.."

If you receive a response with any of the sentences listed above, you have a very good reason to just ignore the email and block that email address from sending message to you.

Sure if you get the money first you're in the clear, but not if what they really want to get is your personal information. Funnily enough, large corporations will pay good money to these people to get your information, which they then use to market you to death.

100% scam. Next thing is you will get a check for twice what you asked. They will say please just cash it and send them the differance. Shortly after the check is deposited and you give them your money the check will bounce.

You could ask them to do the certified check from your bank...

have a good one
3Eo

Thanks for all the input everyone. I think I'm just gonna steer clear of this one. Better safe than sorry.

You could ask them to do the certified check from your bank...

have a good one
3Eo

There are bogus certified check as well. (or Cashier check) And the end, the seller end up need to pay a service fee for the bounced check. :(

Most reactions

New Topics

Back