i feel there is something missing...

Discussion in 'Critique Forum Archives' started by WTF?, Apr 25, 2007.

1. WTF?

WTF? TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    [​IMG]

i took this photo the other day when i went skating some drains with my friend jim, it seems allright, but i feel theres something missing.
    C&C please.

2. Bev_K

Bev_K TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    It took me a second to find what I'd consider the "subject" (skateboard).

Bev

3. Flash Harry

Flash Harry TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Someone on the board, some colour correction, or even some colour, either make it B&W, Sepia or colour. Then look for something interesting in your composition, this is trash.

4. Alpha

Alpha Troll Extraordinaire

Photos NOT OK to edit
    What does this say to you? To me, it doesn't say anything at all. You should start with finding some interesting subject matter to shoot. In other news, as Harry pointed out, the tone range is very limited, and not in a good way.

5. craig

craig TPF Noob!

I like the idea, but I think you could of pulled it off better. Maybe if the skateboard was the center of attention. Currently it is kind of just laying there. Keep in mind that sepia is a tonal killer and takes a lot of work. What made you choose it?

Love & Bass

6. LaFoto

LaFoto Just Corinna in real life Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    The placement of the skateboard is too close to the grass, it almost disappears where it is. The photo might have had some more drama if the skateboard were a) more in the middle (not smack in there, but... you know: more...) of the concrete patch, if it maybe were b) overturned or lying on the side, and if maybe c) a lone shoe was there along with it, so the whole scene would look like someone had recently fallen. We could then think up any kind of story, the photo would then "say" some more. Now it is so quiet ... it hardly speaks.

There are those who say: I will only photograph a scene as it presents itself to me, and this is how it was, so there. And others say: I best stage my scene a little. With this photo I feel the second would have been the better option.

7. OmlessWanderer

OmlessWanderer TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Being familiar with the 'skate style' of photography, I can see why you picked this composition. My first thought was "oh yea... I know that scenario" and I imagined someone sitting just out of frame holding their shin after another failed shove-it attempt, or even just off taking a break and talking to a friend who had shown up.

I think it's a great image, but most definitely not a universal one(as you can tell by everyone else's comments.)

Tinkering with the position of the board is certainly a good idea but I kind of like how the far edge of the board lines up with the dirt, another thought that came to mind as I noticed that was, "skateboard parking only"

8. boogaguy

boogaguy TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I think it would have been cool if the skateboard was rolling through the picture... blurry....
    It would have shown some movement and got my imagination running a little.

9. WTF?

WTF? TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    i like the way you think. if i ever go back to that spot ill try some of those ideas. the photo was however just a spur of the moment sorta thing, i didnt really go out of my way to get the shot, apart from shifting my ass to get a better angle.

10. Weaving Wax

Weaving Wax TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I agree. My eye goes straight to the concrete slab. Maybe the board going down the middle of it or something... Or cropping out some of the slab..