I give up.

Discussion in 'Off Topic Chat' started by ShutteredEye, Jul 13, 2005.

1. ShutteredEye

ShutteredEye TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    It is with profound regret that I type this post. It is often quite hard for me to admit failure, but this is my attempt to do so.

I began taking pictures for myself, and that grew into taking pictures for others. I loved the thought generating emotion and response in others based simply on my images; the same type of reaction I get when I see a great image.

So I started shooting. Took some pictures of my daughter that brought rave reviews. Did a wedding that garnered happy comments. So I sought to improve myself and subject myself to a little peer review. I started posting on the wolf camera "Big Prints Gallery." And that's when it started. 13 submissions and no comments.

So that's how I found this place.

I recently posted some photos I really worked hard on. I was pretty proud, one of the first times I had successfully manipulated the camera in full manual mode, and felt comfortable doing so. 2 comments in the critique gallery. One of them wasn't even a critique about my photo(!!!) but that they wanted to take night pictures.

Yet JonMikal (and no disrespect JonMikal, just using you as an example.) can post a picture that he wasn't he sure was going to turn out because he was laughing too hard, and comments fly. He's out there getting it done, creating that emotional response. (great job, as always Jonmikal.)

So what conclusions do I draw?

1. I'm so awesome that I left everyone speechless. (Not likely.)

2. My photos are so uninteresting they generate that little response.

And #2 my friends, is the best, the only reason to stop trying. I can stand people telling me I suck. I can't stand being boring.

So farewell friends. It was fun getting know you.

Happy trails.

2. elsaspet

elsaspet TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Mountainlander,
    Your photos are NOT boring! I don't think you have posted any that I haven't responded on one way or another. What am I? Chopped dog****e? You do a wonderful job, and don't you give up damnit. It happens to me all the time. I work really hard, try really hard and nada. But you know what? I try harder. Photography is highly subjective. Do it for yourself if nothing else, but don't deprive us of your labors.
    I really hope you rethink this. Instead of giving up, throwing your hands in the air and walking away, why don't you just show us all? Go out there and take a shot that is so kick a$$ that you aren't ignored. (Which you aren't). If the first one (five, onehundred) don't work, try again.
    Please reconsider.
    A fan of your work,
    Cindy

3. lizheaemma

lizheaemma TPF Supporters Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    Well if you haven't vanished yet I have a few things to say! Your on my list of peoples who's photo's that I open first when I check the galleries and the last few post by you have dissapointed me because I haven't seen any pics attached! Nothing no broken link, just no pic! I even tried refresh to see if I can get them and no pics! So if this has been happening to anyone else then it's no wonder you haven't been getting any comments!
    But what it's worth at the same time as I souldn't get any pics in your post I did go and check out you site and really enyoyed it!
    I hardly ever post but I devoure the site like a book each evening and I think you will find that there are alot of other like me that do the same thing!
    I'v been a member here for a couple of years and haven't even hit 400 posts.

I should let people know that I enjoy there work more often but....
    well I have no good excuse....

I for one would be sorry to see you go!
    I'v posted lots of things that have fallen down the page with no remarks and I try not to let it get me down, but remind myself that this is a very busy board.

I hope that this is just stress related to all of the exams that you have been having to endure and the live changes that you have undergone.

Hope to see you around!

(I think that this is my biggest post ever!)
    But, if you must go I hope that you find happiness!

4. PreludeX

PreludeX TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    i know what you say.. i post all the time.. hardly comments.. but yet, doesnt that make you think that you could do better? really, just because no one says anything doesnt mean that you should leave... it should inspire you to go shoot more... i post when i get the chance...i usually get no comments, but that never stopped me from showing off my work...shot and show off thats all

5. ShutteredEye

ShutteredEye TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Arghh. I always do this.

Let one half of my brain shoot off my mouth, and my frustration to boil over.

Sorry for the drama all.

I think I'll take a break for awhile.

See you guys in a few weeks.

6. Alison

Alison Swiss Army Friend Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    Hang in there, Robert. Photography is a frustrating art, and I understand how it feels to post something and have nobody reply. I recall my first few posts here got no replies, and I kid you not, I was in tears and thought I should quit the business.

Take the time you need, TPF will be here for you later. I've always enjoyed your work, I hope that you can find the belief in yourself and realize that comments or no comments you are a photographer and shoot because it makes you happy.

7. LaFoto

LaFoto Just Corinna in real life Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    With the knowledge of how much we all crave for some comments to the photos that we display here, I try my very best to comment as much as I can. So much so that sometimes I go through stages of great weariness with regards to writing comments. More so since I am not particularly fond of "Good work!" comments - a comment should be saying SOMETHING.

So there are times when even I only look at people's photos and don't say anything aloud. (And still feel the pain when I can tell that others do the same about my photos... such as the portraits that I put up in Critique the other day after MONTHS of debate with myself whether I should or whether I better leave it, for example).

The board is EXTREMELY busy these days and submissions that were only entered FIRST yesterday find themselves on Page 3 of the Gallery today. Some "fall through the net" --- and sometimes, when I am in the mood, I even go to those and recollect them from page 3 to give them a "new life". But that is about all I can do...

And I can tell you that I feel sad to see you go, Robert.
    Come back soon - don't let your break become too long, ok?

8. Xmetal

Xmetal TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Who cares what others say? I do it because I like seeing what I can do with a camera and if people praise my works then yay for me, if I get no comments or critque it doesn't phase me, it makes me want to push further for better results.

Everyone here is just snobby. :lol:

9. Karalee

Karalee hOtLiPs!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    WHAT-EVERRRRRRRRRRRRRRR [​IMG]

:lmao:

In all seriousness though, I'm sorry to hear you feel that way. But try not to let it discourage you too much, I think it happens to us all.

10. LaFoto

LaFoto Just Corinna in real life Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I think most of us do here, else an online photography forum would have been a stillborn child from the start and we'd all only sit in front of our own computers watching the slideshows of our own work. The reason we come here and display our work is a means to express ourselves. And I just don't believe that any of us do that all and exclusively for themselves. Not even the housewife who goes to pottery classes will put her work into the closet and only admire it herself (not to offend ANY housewives here that go to pottery classes, am I not a housewife myself, only don't I go to pottery classes but I take photos!?). At least her family are to acknowledge somehow what she is doing.

So yes, we all come here and show our photos to others because we want to hear what others have to say. And it is not about wanting to be PRAISED. It is all about COMMUNICATION. No more, no less.

Most of us who come here can live with critique - even negative critique. If a photo that we thought was one of our best gets a harsh critique, it stings, but ok. It was looked at and deemed worth a comment. I feel this is what Robert meant to say: to feel too boring to attract any comment at all feels far worse. So I do see where you are coming from, Robert.

But if you'd care to compare this forum to a huge open house party where people can come and go as they please, I hope for you to only be "going home for a nap", but to be coming "back to the party" when you feel refreshed (and I hope the same for MDowdey!). All in all I feel we have a great community here.

11. PlasticSpanner

PlasticSpanner TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    LaFoto I've seen what you do sometimes & think you should change your sig to "Angel of the Forum" (or similar? :lol: :) ) :thumbup:

Mountainlander I understand what you are on about and it can be very disheartening and unfortunately that's the nature of todays forums! Everybody craves attention and comments for their photos and there are some who'll try to look at all photos posted but that's an almost impossible task!

I just wish people replied and commented on other photos the same amount as the number of comments they've recieved for their own posts! Wouldn't that be nice?:er: :blushing:

Be sure to come back! Please!

12. Andrea K

Andrea K TPF Noob!

I understand what you mean because it happens to me most of the time. when i do have a post that has a few replies most of them don't even comment about the photo but about the subject. its frustrating to see the same posters consistently get 20-30 replies to each of their posts (spread the wealth repliers) but it gives me something to shoot for. take a break, shoot photos, and come back here and give it another shot!